SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Selecting Multiple Files with Browse Button

I am having a hard time finding a good way to upload multiple files at once. I have done some searching and the only thing I have come across is this one by Stickman. His is nice but you have to click browse multiple times. Once for each file.

http://the-stickman.com/web-developm...-file-element/

I am trying to create something like what Flickr has on their site for uploading photos. I don't know if they use Java or some other language on their upload form or what. But you click the upload photos button and you select multiple files and it pops them into an iframe or something.

Now I don't need the progress bar or anything fancy. I just want to be able to select multiple files at once and pass them to a php script.

Any help would be great. Or maybe this isn't even possible. But Flickr is doing it some how.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

¬.¬ shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It should be made clear that, using the solution above is an Internet Explorer only solution.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I am looking for something a little more universal. I took a deeper look into the way Flickr was doing it and it looks to be all Javascript. Any other thoughts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be surprised if it is all Javascript. The only working solution I have seen is to use Flash in the background via it's newly revised Javascript access features.

There is no way that I know of, of getting a standard file control to accept multiple files. For security reasons, you cannot use Javascript to set the value of a file control, so creating multiple hidden file controls for every button click and attempting to set their value, would get you nowhere.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well forget the browse button then. Is there anyway to open a dialog box where you can select multiple files? I don't know if any of you have tried the new Flickr upload but its pretty sweet and it works across all browsers.

Flickr is some how doing this and its not activex, java or flash. So not sure what that leaves. Any other suggestions?

Thanks