User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simsim View Post
    Well then, I really don't have a reference available to this, but I've heared that Billy didn't design the site; he actually bought a template from an unknown Seattle designer & re-branded it with his friend's corporate's name. He then wrote Internet Explorer, and the rest is.. *sigh*.. history.
    Wink

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr John View Post
    Sued for linking?

Really?

And who told you that, and do you have a proper reference to this?
    I haven't done any serious research on it; it's just something I've heard about over years. Type "sued for linking" into Google, and you'll get some interesting results. For example...

http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum44/2095.htm

And here's a page that advises librarians how to avoid getting sued for linking to other sites (or for NOT linking to other sites):

http://books.google.com/books?id=KgX...psJxkBcK34Ddt4

But I guess that isn't really what this thread is about; sorry for getting off topic.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geosite View Post
    I haven't done any serious research on it; it's just something I've heard about over years. Type "sued for linking" into Google, and you'll get some interesting results. For example...

http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum44/2095.htm
    Suing a webmaster for linking to your site is like getting mad at your dog for wanting to go for a walk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia View Post
    Suing a webmaster for linking to your site is like getting mad at your dog for wanting to go for a walk.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Needs a re-design pronto

Hi,

The BH website needs re-designing to do several things:

. Add value to the corporate image/brand
    . Reduce the line-length of text to aid legibility (have a look at Warren's message)
    . Structure the info to place emphasis on items that require it

Whoever designed the website is under-utilising this resource. The BH website can do so much more. Web sites in this era should communicate on several levels. The BH website gets a 2/10 from me. They need to employ a proper web designer.

As for Jacob Nielsen's webby; I don't know where to start ;0)

Chris.

SitePoint Evangelist bradical1379's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Berkshire Hathaway is merely a holding company that oversees the operations of all of the companies and subsidiaries that it owns. The company itself really has nothing to sell or offer the public, however, each of the companies under its umbrella are what the public feed on.

What is more important are the websites of the companies he owns, that in turn, bring the bucks to the investors pockets:

http://www.geico.com/
    http://www.dairyqueen.com/
    http://www.nfm.com/
    http://www.thecoca-colacompany.com/
    http://www.fruit.com
    http://www.washpostco.com/

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, the site is pretty boring. It kind of reminds me of an earnings statement on letterhead. What I really like is the crappy ads at the bottom though.

On the other hand, I love the Creative Artists Agency's website. It basically comes across as, "if you need information about us, you aren't anybody we are interested in anyways, so don't call us, we'll call you." I love it

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jscheel View Post
    On the other hand, I love the Creative Artists Agency's website. It basically comes across as, "if you need information about us, you aren't anybody we are interested in anyways, so don't call us, we'll call you." I love it
    They give addresses and phone numbers when you click the city names

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia View Post
    They give addresses and phone numbers when you click the city names
    They do, but if you just stumbled across the site would you have a clue as to what they do?

Nope, and they don't care.

Life is short. Be happy today! silver trophybronze trophy Sagewing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drfragnasty View Post
    Hi,

The BH website needs re-designing to do several things:

. Add value to the corporate image/brand
    . Reduce the line-length of text to aid legibility (have a look at Warren's message)
    . Structure the info to place emphasis on items that require it

Whoever designed the website is under-utilising this resource. The BH website can do so much more. Web sites in this era should communicate on several levels. The BH website gets a 2/10 from me. They need to employ a proper web designer.

As for Jacob Nielsen's webby; I don't know where to start ;0)

Chris.
    What a great example of why web designers have such a hard time establishing their industry's reputation instead of being seen as a 'no-barrier-to-entry' world which ranges from teenage freelancers to true pro's.

First, you said that the site needs to 'add value to the website brand' which doesn't even make sense. A website should express a brand, not add value to it. A brand is created and managed by a brand manager who would typically get very frustrated if some web designer came along and tried to 'add to it' - the expectation is that they would adhere to, not alter, the brand. I have noticed a great many people who use the word 'brand' but don't understand what it means.

As for reduce the 'line length' and 'structure the info' you've got to be kidding - there isn't much on the site so I think anyone who needs to read what contents are there are going to have no problem with it!

This site represents the conglomerate parent of many sub-companies, and really doesn't have a strong 'brand' that it needs to express. In fact, they are famous for keeping a fairly low profile at that level while the equities/companies they own pursue more traditional marketing pursuits including massively produced websites, etc.

They are amongst the richest people in the world. If I owned their stock, I'd be very, very, very happy to see this. It's funny that a web designer would even consider going to them and saying 'you're site is all wrong!' and trying to make some confused business case about branding or line-length to a site that is geared towards a stockholder audience who probably don't care about any of that.

So many times on this forum we hear comments like 'web designers are treated like crap' and 'we are professionals and we should be treated as such'. In many cases this is true, but in many cases it's just NOT true and this thread really captures that.
    The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods. Socrates

SAGEWING LLC - QUALITY WEB AND MOBILE APPS. PREMIUM OUTSOURCING SERVICES.
    Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | Google+

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagewing View Post
    What a great example of why web designers have such a hard time establishing their industry's reputation instead of being seen as a 'no-barrier-to-entry' world which ranges from teenage freelancers to true pro's.

First, you said that the site needs to 'add value to the website brand' which doesn't even make sense. A website should express a brand, not add value to it. A brand is created and managed by a brand manager who would typically get very frustrated if some web designer came along and tried to 'add to it' - the expectation is that they would adhere to, not alter, the brand. I have noticed a great many people who use the word 'brand' but don't understand what it means.

As for reduce the 'line length' and 'structure the info' you've got to be kidding - there isn't much on the site so I think anyone who needs to read what contents are there are going to have no problem with it!

This site represents the conglomerate parent of many sub-companies, and really doesn't have a strong 'brand' that it needs to express. In fact, they are famous for keeping a fairly low profile at that level while the equities/companies they own pursue more traditional marketing pursuits including massively produced websites, etc.

They are amongst the richest people in the world. If I owned their stock, I'd be very, very, very happy to see this. It's funny that a web designer would even consider going to them and saying 'you're site is all wrong!' and trying to make some confused business case about branding or line-length to a site that is geared towards a stockholder audience who probably don't care about any of that.

So many times on this forum we hear comments like 'web designers are treated like crap' and 'we are professionals and we should be treated as such'. In many cases this is true, but in many cases it's just NOT true and this thread really captures that.
    That is pretty much it
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tke71709 View Post
    They do, but if you just stumbled across the site would you have a clue as to what they do?

Nope, and they don't care.
    I would assume they're an agency full of creative artists but what do i know
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagewing View Post
    stuff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ ^
    Ulrike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oddly enough, the gang from Berkshire are a few steps away from me at work, I should pass this along to them, to see if they have any "feedback".

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I totally agree with you cstegner. I can't believe such a large and successful company has this bad looking of a site. They can do whatever they heck they want, because whatever they are doing works.

Sure simple design is great but this site is amateur looking, almost like a "learning html practice site". If this was a small non-successful company all you would be ripping on them for such a bad site, but since the company is #12 they get praise. Kind of funny.
    My just-having-fun blog: SportsGorilla

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cstegner View Post
    I was checking out some of the 2007 fortune 500 list's websites and stumbled upon http://www.berkshirehathaway.com/ the 12th largest company, overseen by warren buffet. At first I thought someone must be holding the URL hostage, but evidentially that is not the case, and last I checked it is not April 1st.
    I love that site!
    Online Startups Insight for new entrepreneurs

Business Growth *******s, Inc
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That website is great in it's simplicity. I also run a lot of 'ugly' sites, but they serve their purpose just fine.

A lot of websites would work much better if they only contained text

-Dave

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would you like to join the People For a Graphics Free Internet?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Edora View Post

-Dave
    There is a place for all sorts of sites. What is good for one is not good for the other. There are many purposes a site has to serve, from simple to complex, from just text to just pictures. It is a mistake to look at all site as equal.
    Ulrike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread is hilarious... It goes to show how stuck up so many people in the design business are. This is a company whose stock trades at $118,000+ per share. If I were a shareholder, I'd be VERY happy that this company didn't spend the $50,000 it surely would have cost to have some pompous design firm come in and change the font, add some color and reduce the "line length".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wwb_99 View Post
    Would you like to join the People For a Graphics Free Internet?
    no politics allowed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If any of you are ever given the opportunity, I would highly recommend making the trip to Omaha, Nebraska and attend the Berkshire Hathaway Annual Meeting. The vent is usually every year in March and is held at the Qwest Center which holds about 35,000 people, and its packed for this event. To hear Warren Buffett speak his mind and tell his tales is simply something someone needs to witness. Sadly, Warren is getting up there in age and the window to hear him lecture and speak is narrowing every day. He truly is a remarkable individual.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sure their investors absolutely love the site. Easy to navigate and brings them lots of money. And I am sure they could care less about everybody else... as they point to the stock price.

SitePoint Addict silver trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No crap site....

Most of us can / should (but probably won't) learn from it....

No site should be any more than it needs to be...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site looks fine for its purpose.