SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Founder of Primal Skill Ltd. feketegy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question How do you organize files on shared hosting?

Hello,
    I don't know how exactly to organize files and folders on a shared hosting where only in one directory (htdocs, www, etc) I have write permissions.

What is the best way to organize in this folder in order to be the most secure?

I know on vps/dedicated servers where you have access to the whole system you place your classes and other sensitive data out from the public access folder (www, htdocs, etc.)...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by feketegy View Post
    Hello,
    I don't know how exactly to organize files and folders on a shared hosting where only in one directory (htdocs, www, etc) I have write permissions.

What is the best way to organize in this folder in order to be the most secure?

I know on vps/dedicated servers where you have access to the whole system you place your classes and other sensitive data out from the public access folder (www, htdocs, etc.)...
    When ever I use shared hosting, I just keep the secret stuff in a weirdly named folder, i.e. secretsz, and make sure error_reporting is off.

But most shared hosts still give you a directory above wwwroot, it usally contains ftp logs, that should be accessible, but I've never tried it...

Also, if you use htaccess, you can set a new wwwroot, so mysite.com/myfile.php is really in /wwwroot/fakeroot/myfile.php, and secrets are in /wwwroot/secrets/. CakePHP uses that, and it works well!