User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Database Servers

Hello,

so my current web host dosen't allow access to my databases from outside computers (ex. im trying to connect to it through dreamweaverCS3) and I was curious to know if there are any "database servers" or "database hosting" out there that's relitivily cheap?

Is it a good idea to have your database and web files on different servers? or should they be on the same?

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are doing things they way they should be done--your database should not be directly accessible over the internet. That said, they should provide some means to connect to it, such as a VPN.

Keeping the database and the web server separate are generally good ideas.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks. I know theres another way to connect to it, but just thought I would get an opinion.

So if im using dreamweaver, how would I go about testing a site that uses database? should I create two of the same databases (one on my localserver then one on my remote) and then when I upload to the remote sever just change the server connection in my code?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should always develop on a non-production database, so you should have a copy of the site, and the database running locally to work on. Connection information should be configuration driven so you can switch it easily.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so would this be a safe thing todo:

build the site locally ,of course including the database, using dreamweavers server behaviors and all that fun stuff , and then when it comes time to publish, put it on the server then change the database connection configuration?

I know dreamweaver does that through the 'require_once' command (in php), so all I would have todo is change that to whatever my connection setting are that my web host provide me with...?

I'm a developer that's just getting started, and I have alot of questions... sorry if they seem sorta obvious in what should be done.

I appriciate the help!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes.

Well, it would be safer to completely avoid dreamweaver behaviors and code things properly as there are some known issues, and one does not quite learn doing things that way.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of Course!

Thanks for all the help.