User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cant connect to mysql at command prompt- error

please see attached file for error.

im a beginner. im following php/mysql book from site point. ive searched the forums already but couldnt find the solution.

i just installed IIS on windows xp, mysql and php.

im at command line and i get these (profanity removed) darn error messages. after 1 hour of re-reading chapters of the book i decided to bother you with this problem

in the book it says to check mysql is running by pressing ctrl +alt + del. then in "tasks" you should see "it" running. a) there is no tab called tasks when you press ctrl + alt + del. b) what is "it"

so i assume it (mysql) is running, since i dont really know because the instructions arent that clear for complete (profanity removed) silly billies like me

in another thread someone said "turn off your firewall then try again" - did that, didnt work

then from the command prompt i keep being told it cant connect (see screenshot)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by iluvboobies; Sep 15, 2007 at 17:56.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To add to my dramas:

now skype wont work and neither will other apps which where on port 80 because "inetinfo.exe" is not using port 80 - or some shi-at.

I dont even know what a port is? how do i fix this too so skype has its own port or something?

reads the ********* Crier silver trophybronze trophy longneck's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    please go back and edit your posts to remove profanity and masked profanity. our community guidelines do not allow profanity.

once you have cleaned your posts, then i will respond to your questions.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by longneck View Post
    please go back and edit your posts to remove profanity and masked profanity. our community guidelines do not allow profanity.

once you have cleaned your posts, then i will respond to your questions.
    Sorry i didnt mean to offend you. I have corrected my post for you. It's now safe to read it........................... answers please?

reads the ********* Crier silver trophybronze trophy longneck's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    your second post still contains profanity. please fix that.

the error you're getting from the command prompt means that the mysql server is not running. your firewall shouldn't be a problem since most software firewalls don't prohibit connections from localhost to localhost, except in the most paranoid of modes.

depending on the exact version of windows, there are multiple ways to access the task manager. on windows 2000 and windows xp (and possibly vista) you can right-click on a blank area on the task bar and pick "task manager" from the menu. if the mysql server is running, you'll see an entry for mysqld-nt.exe in the list.