SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast Bible Topics KJV's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bible Topics KJV - which layout should I use?

All comments and suggestions are welcome.

I decided to redesign my site. I created a new layout, and am now unsure which I like better, the old one or the new one. I wanted some opinions on which one I should use. Also, which start page I should use.

Web layout A and start page A - http://www.bibletopicskjv.com/
    Web layout B and start page B - http://www.bibletopicskjv.com/test.shtml

Let me know what you like and dislike. What should I add, get rid of, or change with the layout and start page you like better.

Before anyone mentions it, yes I will use google ads. If you want to envision start page B with an ad, it would be a small banner right below the title. Unless there are better ideas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe both can be used, just depends on the type of content you are trying to display. Layout B is more suited for displaying a large list of categories, and its also better for search engine indexing. I find it easier to search for the categories and stuff. The color scheme of the links would look better with a different color and some text hover effects. Consider using CSS

Layout A on the other hand is more pleasant to the eye with a good color scheme (contrasting background and font colors). The navigation is positioned well and easily accessible. I do find the images (crosses) on the left of the page a little repetitive and a waste of space.

Overall they're great layouts, you could consider using both of them in fact!
    WANT TO MAKE PASSIVE INCOME ONLINE? - Click HERE

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the first site - Site Map (main page) - topics, notes, etc (in bold)
    why not make them links ??
    On the second site - no description and no keywords ??
    The site used should depend on purpose
    what do you want to emphasize with the site
    Personal note: make sure the content isn't copyrighted
    the only bible I know isn't copyrighted is the King James
    Strong's Concordance is as many other books are
    hope this helps
    falcon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been getting overwhelming support for the original site layout and start page. The only thing I will change is the navigation. I think I'm going to take out the start page, and just put all the links on the left. I really like the other background personally, so I might use it for something else.

navy falcon - The topics, notes, and etc are links. I guess I just thought there was too much blue on that page already. That would be a problem. The only reason I thought about having the topics on the home page instead of the welcome message is because they are going for the topics. The first page they see would be the topics. From the responses of others on different forums, I do need a lead in page.

I know about the copyright laws. The personal notes always start with my own ah ha ideas on the passage. Then I will go into other references, which I always site the sources. Sources can be cited in this way, since this can be considered research into the particular subject. After all this part is the Bible Study. I don't try to over site either. I use these resources when I can't glean any more information, wisdom, or thoughts from the passage itself.

I think for here on in, I'm going to keep the background I already have, may tweak the layout some, and upgrade the coding.

I have been putting off adding new content for too long right now. After so long, you think I would be past the first half of Matthew by now. I know I have other things to do, but still. At least now I know that the original design is well liked. I always wondered about that, and thought it was getting too dated. I guess it hasn't.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote:
    navy falcon - The topics, notes, and etc are links. I guess I just thought there was too much blue on that page already. That would be a problem. The only reason I thought about having the topics on the home page instead of the welcome message is because they are going for the topics. The first page they see would be the topics. From the responses of others on different forums, I do need a lead in page.
    end Quote:

Web Layout A
    Under "What you will find on this site:"
    Topics Page:
    Site Map:
    - Topics
    - Notes
    - Teachings
    - People in the Bible
    (all in bold print)
    clicked on them (no links ??)
    below at the bottom of the page there is links
    My thought - you may want to make these links
    hope this helps
    falcon

Note: may want to incorporate the best of both sites and use that. The menu on the left from layout B would be nice on web layout A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by navyfalcon View Post
    Quote:

Note: may want to incorporate the best of both sites and use that. The menu on the left from layout B would be nice on web layout A
    That is exactly what I was thinking. I never had any problems with the button image links, but have been realizing that some like you may. It would be better to have all text links. I think they would be more search engine friendly also.

Hmmm, whether to take the crosses out completely, except maybe for one at the top, and just have the text links on the solid color. Or to float a solid color box with the text links over the crosses. I think the second idea may be better. I'll think about it.