SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jumping in head first

I have been employed as a coldfusion developer for the last 5 years; I just accepted a job where there is one CF application that they are phasing out. The rest of the apps are .net c#. I have zero .net experience and am expected to hit the ground running fairly quickly.

My question is can anyone recommend a book for my situation? Or the best plan of action?

SitePoint Guru Chroniclemaster1's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the two most important things to do are 1) see if there are any night classes in .NET at your local colleges and 2) download Visual Web Developer Express (VWD, it's free at www.asp.net) and start building web apps and see how they break. If you've been in CF for that long I don't think you're in over your head. It's just going to be a bit of a transition because ASP.NET is fairly different than any other architecture out there.

As far as books, the best resource will be to download all the documentation in the MSDN (about 1/2 GB) with VWD. Then open VWD, click help, and dive into the tutorials that look the most interesting. Just be sure that all your language settings are set to C#, not VB. That will give you the best overview and introduction. And you can google specific issues from there, if you need more information. Or come back and ask us.
    Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it.
    Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now.

Chroniclemaster1, Founder of Earth Chronicle
    A Growing History of our Planet, by our Planet, for our Planet.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chroniclemaster1 View Post
    I think the two most important things to do are 1) see if there are any night classes in .NET at your local colleges and 2) download Visual Web Developer Express (VWD, it's free at www.asp.net) and start building web apps and see how they break. If you've been in CF for that long I don't think you're in over your head. It's just going to be a bit of a transition because ASP.NET is fairly different than any other architecture out there.

As far as books, the best resource will be to download all the documentation in the MSDN (about 1/2 GB) with VWD. Then open VWD, click help, and dive into the tutorials that look the most interesting. Just be sure that all your language settings are set to C#, not VB. That will give you the best overview and introduction. And you can google specific issues from there, if you need more information. Or come back and ask us.
    Thank's Chroniclemaster1!

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely check out the videos on that ASP.NET site, and you probably should also check out this migration guide.

SitePoint Guru Chroniclemaster1's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey, what else am I here for
    and definitely check out wyatt's article, he's always got great leads
    Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it.
    Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now.

Chroniclemaster1, Founder of Earth Chronicle
    A Growing History of our Planet, by our Planet, for our Planet.