Thread: Audio Editing

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Audio Editing

Hi Folks

I have been programming for awhile but have never done anything like this so I will run this by you to get some feedback.

Hopefully I can use wavs for this entire process.

I need to take x number of audio files (speech), concatenate them, mix them with another audio track (music) and then possibly trim (fade) the resulting file and server it up as an mp3 and/or wav.

Here is where I am currently:
    1. Get the initial array of filenames, concatenate the corresponding wavs with proper spacing and get the total file length for the new single file: This I can do
    2. Mix the new speech file with a second music bed file: I can't figure out how to do this
    3. Fade the music out on the resulting track after the speech has finished talking: This I can do.
    4. Serve up the final mixed wav as a file after fading: This I can do.
    5. Convert the final mix to mp3 to serve it up as a file: I can't figure out how to do this

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not gonna tell you exactly what, but you need an external app to do that (external from php's pov). Any working on your server would do. So if it's linux, look for audio editing apps for linux, if it's windows, look for windows apps etc.
    Saul

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy kyberfabrikken's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can convert the files to raw, unencoded wav-files, you can quite easily mix two sounds together by simply adding each sample together and divide by two.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can I convert them to raw? Just strip out the header and they are raw? I should know this but I don't.

>>you can quite easily mix two sounds together by simply adding each sample together and divide by two.

Could you expand on this just a tad? I am a little short on "quite easily" with this particular topic.

Thanks

Matt

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have a look at sox if you can install binaries on your hosting, it's a command line sound processor.

http://sox.sourceforge.net/

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    or ffmpeg