SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need advice/ideas for bar site

I have a client that wants to create a website for his bar.

He wants cool stuff happening on the site, can you offer any creative ideas ....

My thoughts are :
    -live music/video from the club directly to the site
    -games/entertainment on the site
    -news feeds from music related sites ...

do you have any other ideas that you think would be cool ???

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Any kind of psudo-social network features would be very 'now'.
    Last edited by akritic; Sep 14, 2007 at 10:33. Reason: edit : wrong thing

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is anyone really going to check out the web-site for a bar??

Anyways... For me, I'd say it'd be based on the atmosphere of the bar itself.

As far as games go,

if it's a light friendly sort of place then maybe goofy drinking games. If it's a fun but a little skanky sort of place then go for some cheesy over-sexed game. If it's like a sports-bar then virtual pool or darts or something. Poker, even.

If they feature live entertainment, like singers or something, then you could have videos of these events.

A web-site for a bar... hmm...

Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the ideas,
    Yes Shaun, its a bar/club that want to be the coolest in town, so definetelly anything that makes them look cool will do for them ...

ArmChairCritic I was thinking of a social network maybe with the option of allowing them to create their own pages ... the bar has lots of university students as customers (ages 18-25) ...

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frankly I would blur the line between cyberspace and the bar.

I would integrate digital signage in the bar with the website and vice-versa and tie that to a captive social network.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GiorgosK
    ArmChairCritic I was thinking of a social network maybe with the option of allowing them to create their own pages ... the bar has lots of university students as customers (ages 18-25) ...
    You wouldn't know until you try, but wouldn't most of those kids be on Facebook already anyway??...

What's the inspiration to have a page on the website of some bar??

What if you could buy friends drinks on-line or maybe play games with friends on-line to win specialty drinks when you go in to the bar??... Could call it "Bar-Fight".

Or maybe take pictures of hot girls at the bar (volunteerily, of course) and post them up on-line to have their friends and guys rate them. Winner for the month gets something or the other at the bar. Maybe a monthly mixed-drink named after them. Don't know if that would work in your area but it'd certainly work here in Trinidad (as cheesy and tacky as it sounds).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are all some nice suggestions ...

Shaun, the bar is in a small island of Greece (Chios) and I am not sure if locals would want to be rated (everyone knows everyone kind of place) ... but the "buy a beer" fights sounds interesting ...

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GiorgosK
    and I am not sure if locals would want to be rated (everyone knows everyone kind of place)
    With stuff like that you don't openly call it "rating".

You come up with some cute or clever way to disguise what it really is like... "Which of these hot chicks would you like to buy a beer for??".

The thing about it is you'd have the girls checking the website to see if they're winning (even if they pretend they don't care).

You'd have guys from the area weekly checking the site to see pictures of the girls (because we're stupid).

And then you'd have the hidden message of "Hey, guys... go to this bar to lime with all the hot chicks!!".

Well... like I said... it'd work here in Trinidad.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would work in most places here in the States too, if you were to believe Hollyweird (then again, they did make the "Wayne's World" movies - and I can tell you first hand that the "Aurora, Illinois" they portrayed is NOTHING like the real one).

Giorgos, Andy and Shaun gave you some solid ideas. As for Shaun's idea of cloaking the ratings system, you won't know if it works unless you try it - especially if you make the rating system anonymous. Like Member2835 votes for "Hot Chick #3" or something like that - another greay way to tie in a private social network. Everyone can remain anonymous without having to rely on MySpace or Facebook - until everyone finds out who everyone really is, of course.

But you know what they say about loose lips and good alcohol.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So there you have it, GiorgosK.

Just to satisfy my curiousity, please post what your client eventually decides to go with in this thread, please.

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shaun the client will go with whatever we suggest (me and my partners), but we are trying to suggest something that will eventually be worth it ...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GiorgosK:

Wow! A SitePoint thread that I might actually have a worthy suggestion...

I am a video producer in the US and help my local small town clients with marketing ideas all the time.

As I was reading your post, a thought popped into my mind. What about going a little different direction and making the site somewhat of a "one stop shop" so to speak of what the clients/students think is cool or helpful? In other words build the value of the bar's site as something that benefits these college kids and makes their lives easier. Maybe you could design quadrants of allready existing sites that have the most popular features of the individual site there all on one page. This way, whatever is popular in your geographic area that is relevant to these kids could be found all in the same site...

Make sense? The main thing is, you would have to research and maybe interview several typical students at this school and find out what is cool or relevant to them. If you could put several things together and make them want to use your site instead of several and always bounce back and forth, the bar becomes cool for providing this service.

And no, it doesn't have to be school related but maybe Facebook, Google, a stream of campus TV or radio and whatever all on the same page to help them do what they do best... multitask!

Then, when they want to blow off steam, they already know what is happening that weekend at the bar because it is already on the website and they are using it all the time...

Just an out of the box idea..

Enjoy, Jay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Jay
    I am going to see what cool stuff from different helpful websites I can incorporate into this one ...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it actually legal to have the ability to 'sell drinks online.' I'm not sure how it works where you're at but I know in a lot of places in the US, that kind of thing would get a bar shut down just because of the ability for somebody to purchase a drink without actually being of the legal age. Bars get shut down all the time for serving 'minors' as they say. Maybe it's different where you're at. Wine shots, sites and so on also have different laws and legalities they have to follow. Who knows, but I'd look a little more into it before you place something up that sounds cool, but in reality, could get the bar closed down.

Another social bookmarking site seems ridiculous, but then again, if it's more for those that already know about the bar, then go for it. You could create some kind of dynamic site where it could wind up bringing in a lot of visitors and then you can create sites where all the local bars compete or put up different specials, leagues they have going on, contests, and so on.
    Today isn't and tomorrow and tomorrow isn't today.
    Yesterday isn't tomorrow and tomorrow isn't yesterday.
    But today will soon be yesterday.
    http://www.pjam3.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Site for a bar sounds pretty standard to me. In our city, which is by far not an example setting place, virtually every bar has a website.

One thing that I find neat is that bars hire people to go around and take pictures, which they later post on their website for people to go back and check out. We actually have a company that was started by these two girls who go around taking pictures practically every night that people are out in several different bars. They made really nice business cards that say something to the effect of "Go on this website...to see your picture". It drives pretty good traffic to their site from what I gather.

So, my suggestion: pictures, pictures, and...oh yeah...pictures!

Cheers!
    -Victor

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why create a site for a bar, unless of course, it is a very popular one and when I say popular I think international. Instead of building a site you can spend money on advertising in the town/city.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because for starters, the Web site could help convince someone from out of town who will be visiting that the bar is the ideal place to go to.

I've done it with friends from as far as Washington state (I live just west of Chicago) - though that was a family owned restaurant, not a bar.

I'm sure others will offer their own reasons as well.