SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should I fear upgrading from 4.0.27 to 4.1?

Are there any reasons that I should not upgrade from 4.0.27 to 4.1? (on a Linux server)

For instance, any known issues regarding existing PHP code getting broken, or character encoding issues, SQL backwards compatibility, and so forth.

I will do a backup first as something can always go wrong, but I have many dozens of sites on the server in question, and if there are any problems caused by the upgrade I might not even find out about them.

Are there any known issues that I should be aware of, or any reasons to decide against upgrading?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/old-client.html

This deals with a specific client issue that you will face when updating pre 4.1

reads the ********* Crier silver trophybronze trophy longneck's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the only major issue is the password encryption scheme. this is in contrast to mysql 5 where the SQL parser takes your SQL a bit more literally, making certain combinations of JOIN's no longer valid. there were also come changes to the DECIMAL and TIMESTAMP data types.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    longneck didn't they make significant changes to character sets and collations too? or was that from 3.x to 4?

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why don't you just try it, test, and find if *you* will have any problems?

It's not like you have a single box license. Copy your data, install it on your computer or a spare dev box, and test your site.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by guelphdad View Post
    longneck didn't they make significant changes to character sets and collations too? or was that from 3.x to 4?
    yes, there were LOTS of changes i didn't mention. however, only the ones i've mentioned are the ones that typically affect users who upgrade.

the collation support doesn't really come in to play because most people don't change the collation in 3.x or 4.0, and the default collation in 4.1+ is compatible with the earlier defaults.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all.

So what exactly should I do to update the passwords for all users on the server? Do I need to know their current passwords?

And I have to do this after the upgrade, right?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you don't have to upgrade the passwords right away. the mysql server knows which are stored in the old format, and which are stored in the new format. therefore, you can keep using the user accounts without updating the password.

note that you will need to upgrade your mysql client if you want to use the new passwords. otherwise, when you set up a new user, after you create the user you'll have to reset the password using the old_password() function.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by longneck View Post
    you don't have to upgrade the passwords right away. the mysql server knows which are stored in the old format, and which are stored in the new format. therefore, you can keep using the user accounts without updating the password.

note that you will need to upgrade your mysql client if you want to use the new passwords. otherwise, when you set up a new user, after you create the user you'll have to reset the password using the old_password() function.
    Thanks, let me see if I understand this correctly - nothing needs to be done for existing users, but any new users (if they want to be compatible with external 4.0 clients) need to reset the password?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    correct.