SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any FrontPage Xperts?

Frontpage 98 -- Need Help!!!!
    Hello.
    I have recently been assigned to a project that has been years in the making. Anyhow, to make a long story even longer, I'm having trouble with my frontPage App. It seems that some web pages were designed with FPXpress 2.0 and 3.0. When I open the files (using FP98) I'm not able to view the entire application in either Normal/HTML/Preview mode. If I view the file in Browser mode, everything looks just effen great. If I open the file with NotePad, the code is complete. I even tried to cut and paste from NotePad to FP98, and when I switched to HTML mode, it seems that FP98 trashed what it didn't like.
    So basically, I can't do a damn thing with this App. other than view it with NotePad, print it, then recreate it using a fresh FP98 webscreen.
    Anybody ????

Thanx for your time.

Last edited by MoonPix on 20-Feb-2002 at 11:16

Bimbo With A Brain! silver trophy Saz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never used FP98, but from what I've read here, it seems like it does a damn fine job of hacking good code to bits!

Do you really have to use FP for this site? If so, then is there a chance you can upgrade to FP2000? That's what I use and I've never had a problem with it re-arranging any of my code. There's an option within the app to set it to 'preserve existing html', so no matter where the code was originally created, when opened in FP it shouldn't change.
    Saz: Naturally Blonde, Naturally Dizzy!
    No longer Editor of the Community Crier.

Don't mind me, I'm having a BLONDE moment!

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ditch FP and edit the code directly if you can. Notepad will do the job, as will editplus, 1stpage2000 and many others. For wysiwyg, go with DreamWeaver, or upgrade to a more recent copy of FP that doesn't mess with code quite so much Not a lot of help I know, but older versions of FP are notorious for this sort of thing.
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by TheOriginalH
    Ditch FP and edit the code directly if you can. Notepad will do the job, as will editplus, 1stpage2000 and many others. For wysiwyg, go with DreamWeaver, or upgrade to a more recent copy of FP that doesn't mess with code quite so much Not a lot of help I know, but older versions of FP are notorious for this sort of thing.
    Aye, second that. "Expert" and "Frontpage" is a paradox.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Assuming you have no choice but to up FP, then unfortunately FP98/2000/2002 and FP Express are generally not directly compatable. Odd as it may seem, very often web pages made with FP Express don't load and/or work properly in FP 98/2000/2002.

I agree with the above. If you can't rewrite those pages in something other than FP then use note pad to edit them. Hopefull, it's not a lot of pages.
    Ocean View Host - Affordable web hosting plans for any business.
    Modern Technology, Old Fashioned Value & Service!
    U.S. Merchant Services - Reliable merchant account services for all business!
    Quality People Providing A Quality Service!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

frontpage help

one of the newsgroups devoted to front page and microsoft products will probably be able to answer the question. its a lot like microsoft works cannot open word files. go figure.

stevo