SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Review my logo design / tutorial site.

I realized 2 weeks ago that I get a decent amount of traffic for logo tutorial related keywords. So I decided to try and monetize it by developing a hybrid site where I offer video tutorials (started off by doing video *logo* tutorials) and my actual logo design services.

I worked non-stop on this for about a week n' a half to two, first doing the logo design tutorial videos, then designing the site, and then coding the site and building a logo design system that streamlines the process. I setup a vbulletin community and skinned it over a 4 hour process. Also shot some video to promote the logo tutorial vids, going to split test it to see how it affects conversions.

I've still yet to validate the xhtml/css so I'm not concerned about that aspect atm.

Home Page - The logo design "process" - My video logo tutorials - Custom vBulletin skin
    Design like a pro. - Full design videos, real projects.
    Pro logo design (8 yrs. experience, check em' out).

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like it very much.

Nice clean design that looks good, is readable, and does not get in the way of the content. Especially important given that a lot of the content is other design work.

Generally good from a technical and SEO pov as well.

You have a non-www to www canonical redirect and it returns the correct code. However, any unrecognised address seems to get a temporary redirect to the home page. If the search engines don't interpret this correctly they may consider it an infinite number of duplicate pages putting your site at risk of a duplicate content penalty. The correct response is a custom 404 page (to help keep people on the site) that returns a 404 status code. It is not unheard of to have the bots request a page name that they expect not to exist in order to check your 404 response.

Only a potentially small benefit but your meta descriptions are sometimes well focused to the page and sometimes not.

The H1 on every page is your name. Surely you are not intending to target every page to your name... what a waste. The home page link is not your main heading. Move the h1 down into the content. Not sure whether it would be better for the SEs but personally I'd make it semantically correct and remove the h2 from the across site banner at the top of the page in order to have the h1 as the first heading where you currently have an h3.

Very minor point but, the small link to read all the testimonials looks a bit odd when you are on the testimonials page.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    100%, love your site. Course, you could make small improvements, but right now, I can't think of any...

I _especially_ like the video tutorial preview at the bottom of the page, I watched it, and thought they were great.....got near the end, and I was expecting something like "Order all of these videos for just $39!", but nope, $6.95, I will proberly be ordering that later, because my skills lack in logo design!

Like it, like it alot, hope you do well!

fLUx

EDIT: Ordered, and watched the first set of videos.....love it!! If anything, it gives me the confidence to think I could design a top quality logo on my own! Keep up the great work, glad you have given everybody a chance to learn some of your skills, for such a low price and you have a forum. I would expect somebody who wants to sell lots of logos not to have done that, but you have, thanks!
    Last edited by fLUx1337; Sep 13, 2007 at 04:02.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, Loving the site, great layout. I have to say the video at the bottom is so cool! Love its unique shape and great content!

I would work on your forum alot more, its very unactive, could do with some payed posting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShoutGroup View Post
    I would work on your forum alot more, its very unactive, could do with some payed posting.
    ehh?? Paid posting is good for what reason??

You pay some dude to come and basically spam your forum, they will proberly never take any intrest, and as soon as you stop paying them, they are gone. Stupid, waste of money IMO!

I'd rarther see a forum die than have loads of paid posts....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the responses guys and I'm glad you're finding the tutorials helpful flux

Fremeere - You raise a great point, I'll work on that today.

ShoutGroup - Well the forum at this point isn't very active because I just launched it 2 days ago. It'll become more and more active as I promote the site, and from one of my free logo tutorials which ranks well in organic listings.
    Design like a pro. - Full design videos, real projects.
    Pro logo design (8 yrs. experience, check em' out).