SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

send to spam/bulk now

we have been using vcard and a script made by us for ecard systen

the problem is our ecards mails has started going to bulk/ in yahoo and delivered as junk inhotmail so we dont know what to do..
    people feel that their mail is not being delivered

we contacted our host they say its problem with the scripts...

now we cannot go to every part of that script and change it the way the mail is being sent...

so whats the solution..our site has been hampered by that
    it
    Last edited by frank1; Sep 19, 2007 at 20:07.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It'll be tough to impossible to do anything about this. Spam that is designed to look like you've received an eCard has been going out in the billions the past few months. It makes sense to filter mail that looks like that now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so whats the solution for me now
    the script maker says the script has not got any problem

the hoster says its not their problem

but the things should be solved as there is problem

so what do you suggest...?
    that card system is useless if mail goes to bulk/spam

thanks

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's not much you can do, really. You're just caught in the crossfire. The only thing that might help is asking your users to add your From address to their contacts hoping that would get your messages to their inbox.

Or change your mailing strategy so that it only sends out the credentials to login and download that ecard from your site instead.
    Programming boils down to three things: fast, good and cheap.
    Please pick two.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hotmail is especially bad about this. You can try a few test emails from a desktop email client and see what gets through and what doesn't. The content matters, but so does the basic construction of the message and the headers that are sent. Hotmail for instance likes to see names next to email addresses and very specific headers. I imagine Yahoo is the same.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well the script was sending mail to inbox for quite some time..sunddely it has started going to bulk...

if this is the case..so can we ask money back from the company we bought that script..or are they laible to return it...

does ir require the update from script maker...

how do these so called big sites ecards which sends 1000 of cards a day manage these
    their mail comes normally...

all the mails send thought php script even simple feedback is going to bulk...

we made lots of cards now we are as said put in cross fire...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best way to determine what can go through and what can't is to do some tests with a desktop email client. Examine the headers and content to get an idea on how to proceed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frank1 View Post
    how do these so called big sites ecards which sends 1000 of cards a day manage these
    their mail comes normally...
    The legitimate ones will have their servers whitelisted with the ISPs and webmail services.

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a good point, unfortunately, as I understand it it is very expensive to get whitelisted with a service like Hotmail. I saw a figure of around $1500 although I have no idea if that is correct or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks gentlemen for your answer...

i have not fully undetstood the situtation here..
    means does it mean that the current mail server of our web hoster is black listed by hotmail and yahoo..?

i also raised their issue but they say that their server is not black listed any where ..even shown dnsstuff.com results...

so will changing the server or webhost who has better mail management or whose mail server is not black listed up to now solve our problem...?

thanks

any way up to now we have not found any work around its just like forget that site now..kind of thing...after long work for cards

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the server was blacklisted, the mail wouldn't be accepted by the recipient's server. Since you said they're making it to the spam/bulk folders, the host isn't blacklisted and switching won't help. That means it's the headers and content of your mail that appear like spam to the filters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    try running the script locally and send some test emails, if it gets though, maybe hotmail are receiving too many emails containing a simular thing from your server, and classing it as spam, like all the other eCard style things which get classed as spam...

And it depends what you class as spam, personally, I think eCards are spam, I think invites to Bebo/FaceBook/whatever are classed as spam. Anything which does't contain infomation wrote 100% by a human or an email with a link to comfirm my email, via something I have just done (i.e. comment on a blog) is spam. Basically, ANYTHING I didn't ask for, from somebody I don't know.....its all spam, and if it popped into my Gmail, I would mark it as spam.

I've been looking into mass emailing recently, and the fact of the matter is - its pretty much impossible to send bulk mail which won't get stuck in everyones spam folders, from a shared host.

fLUx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so what should we do ..
    should we buy another ecards system or should be try to modify the way existing system sends the mails or cards

actually the current system was sending mail normally from quite some time but now it has started sending it as bulk..

about server its not only the cards system but any mail that is going from our host..we have a reseller package and all the websites email send through the email server is going as bulk...
    feedback..tell it to fren...support newsletter
    every form data..
    even a phpcow(licensed one) is sending mail in bulk and the maker of it www.phpcow.com claim that their script could never send mail to bulk or there is no problem with the way they send mail...

thanks for answer..
    but it seems like solutionless problem..
    any way thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frank1 View Post
    so what should we do ..
    should we buy another ecards system or should be try to modify the way existing system sends the mails or cards

actually the current system was sending mail normally from quite some time but now it has started sending it as bulk..

about server its not only the cards system but any mail that is going from our host..we have a reseller package and all the websites email send through the email server is going as bulk...
    feedback..tell it to fren...support newsletter
    every form data..
    even a phpcow(licensed one) is sending mail in bulk and the maker of it www.phpcow.com claim that their script could never send mail to bulk or there is no problem with the way they send mail...

thanks for answer..
    but it seems like solutionless problem..
    any way thanks
    The problem is that their is no central "hub" of emails, each mail server can stop an email if its on their black list, then any end mail provider decides if its spam.

So the problem is with your host BUT its not their fault. Maybe somebody on the same server is also sending "spam like" emails? Maybe somebody on your server, or has been on your server in the past sent a few 1000 REAL spam emails per day? (which is very likely, spammers use cheap shared hosts, then as soon as their mail starts to be banned, they dump the account and move onto the next!)

As I said above, try the script on your local machine. And if needs be, get your own server....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    another thing the hoster said that their one server was black listed and will be clear by 24th of this month..so is that playing part here....
    i didnt said any thing about it as all expert here said that it was not problem with the hoster...

i doubt the hoster as all mails..every script mail is going to bulk yahoo and hotmail not sent...

thanks i just tested from localhost...
    from localhost it says that mail has been sent (sent to yahoo) but the mail is not even sent to bulk folder of yahoo..so what might be problem...
    any way may be delivery may be delayed as well it has been around 5-8 minutes i have sent it from local but has not arrived in my inbox...of yahoo...

the

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fLUx1337 View Post
    try running the script locally and send some test emails, if it gets though, maybe hotmail are receiving too many emails containing a simular thing from your server, and classing it as spam, like all the other eCard style things which get classed as spam...

And it depends what you class as spam, personally, I think eCards are spam, I think invites to Bebo/FaceBook/whatever are classed as spam. Anything which does't contain infomation wrote 100% by a human or an email with a link to comfirm my email, via something I have just done (i.e. comment on a blog) is spam. Basically, ANYTHING I didn't ask for, from somebody I don't know.....its all spam, and if it popped into my Gmail, I would mark it as spam.

I've been looking into mass emailing recently, and the fact of the matter is - its pretty much impossible to send bulk mail which won't get stuck in everyones spam folders, from a shared host.

fLUx
    You realize that people like you are half the reason it's impossible to send legitimate, opt-in bulk mail and not end up in a spam folder, right? You admit you mark mail that isn't spam as spam, training the filters that way, and getting the senders blacklisted...

I can't blame you though. It's the actual spammers that trained you to be a human spam filter with a high false positive rate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    then final answer ..should we drop that script...
    this way it will be problem in future..
    any way thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My guess is that it is not the script causing the problem, especially if your host says the server is blacklisted (or was it another server from the same host? I'm not sure).

Can you send a similar email from the same server using a different script? Does it get through OK?

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no as i say all the scripts even paid one..none gets through ..means it goes to bulk
    what ever is sent hosted there...is sent to bulk
    even forwarded mails

so i am trying to find new host to test ..thing

thanks for answer..
    i hope its time to write a letter once again to support of our webhost
    thanks