User Tag List

Thread: Site Search

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Site Search

Hello, again!

Well, I'm slowly progressing in the development of my website, and I want to allow users to search my website. I go to various websites and they have some sort of search function.

How can I create this for my website in the most efficient manner so that it is most beneficial to the surfer? I want them to be able to find what they want amongst the pages.

Thank you.

-- Lulabyte

Additioanly, I want to be able to create forms so surfers can submit comments/questions/etc. Also, I want to learn how to make polls. Any help here?

ALSO (sick of me yet?), in this one section of my website, there is a "yadda yadda of the moment." I want that piece of content to change every time the page is refreshed. Any input? Thanks!
    Last edited by Lulabyte; Feb 20, 2002 at 23:41.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basically, all of this can be done with a server-side scripting language. You're best choice would probably be to go with PHP. Find out if your host supports it; if it does, then here's an excellent starting place to learn it.

http://www.devshed.com/Sever_Side/PHP/

The PHP 101 articles are highly recommended. If your host does not have PHP capabilities, let us know (it may still have ASP, CF, Python, et cetera) enabled.

BTW -- if you happen to be hosting on a free host -- you're pretty much "dead in the water," so to speak. If you pay for your hosting, chances are your host does support one of the above.

-Colin
    Colin Anderson
    Ambition is a poor excuse for those without
    sense enough to be lazy.

Whistler BC originally from Guelph Ontario
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I had a post and assumed way too much. Definately go with the basic tutorials and learn as much as you can. PHP handles all of those options nicely and cleanly.

I also like www.phpbuilder.com and of course the source of 90% of devsheds articles www.melonfire.com (under the subheading trogs).

With those two sites and this community you will be building those options in no time.
    Maelstrom Personal - Apparition Visions
    Development - PhP || Mysql || Zend || Devshed
    Unix - FreeBSD || FreeBsdForums || Man Pages
    They made me a sitepoint Mentor - Feel free to PM me or Email me and I will see if I can help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know I risk being shunned by all the more programming-abled webmasters out there, but if you use a free host without cgi or php etc, then you may have no choice but to use one of the free remotely-hosted services out there. Atomz.com has a great site search engine (which I use) and Sparklit.com has polls and guestbooks and stuff (which I also use). You may have to put up with the odd ad though.
    Well, that's all I wanted to say. Now I'll just quietly slink off into a corner to hide, then maybe change my username to try and regain some semblance of credibility around here.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well... its a begginning for u in making websites... so it would take time for u to go for Php,Cgi,etc// why not try readymade tools which some sites offer...

try going to these sites for free dtuff for website --

http://www.stickysauce.com
    http://www.freesitetools.com
    http://www.bravenet.net

hope u get what ur looking for ..
    Peace.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep yep yep. In the absence of server side, atomz (www.atomz.com) will provide neat search fynctionality. A little Javascript will achieve the reloading thing you are after , I should think one of these: http://www.scriptsearch.com/JavaScri...s/Random_Text/ will help.

For your polls, one solution would be http://www.mypoll.net/ , although a little searching will pull up others.

For your guestbook, you could try http://www.theguestbook.com/ - again, a quick search will throw up others, just choose one you like.

All that said, your best bet WOULD be to use a server side language. You should try and familiarise yourself with EITHER php (my preference), or ASP (the preference of a few micreants here). The link already given will provide great php advice, and there are many experienced peeps in the php forums right here. www.w3schools.com provides a good .asp tutorial series, and again, one or two misguided souls here on the forums will be able to help you out in the .asp section.

Good luck!

H
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking < hugs >

< hugs >

First, let me take the time to get a little mushy and tell you that I love you guys! I've actually been making website for about four years, but they were all made using programs like AOLPRESS or FrontPage. Now that I'm actually trying to learn the language, your help is making it so much easier to deal with. Thank you!

Okay, back to business. Currently, I am only registered with www.register.com -- I'm not really sure who my host is, yet. I just want to get http://www.lulabyte.net built first. However, I will pay for it because I want a)good space b)all PHP, CGI, etc support c)NO ADS (@!#!) and d)all around good service.

Again, suggestions would be great. Somebody sent me DreamHost, and that looks nice. See, there is going to be a nice amount of "stuff" on my website. It's just a personal website, but it's crammed with all of the things I enjoy. I'm not sure how much multimedia will be on it, but I really need suggestions with this issue. I was going to wait to ask about this when the time came to upload everything, but if any of you have any suggestions now, that would be great.

< sniff > I love you guys! < hugs >

-- Lulabyte, your personal fan

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally use KDA, who are helpful, and on these Forums almost as much as I am! There are other hosting companies here - and when I get round to setting it up, I have a reseller package myself....

Your best bet though, for this Q, would be to try and outline exactly what you plan to do on your site, and ask for recommendations in this forum.

Good luck

H
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up < flashes a thumbs up >

Thanks!

Good plan! Will do! Thank you for all of your help!

-- Lulabyte