User Tag List

Thread: Wanna' be Yahoo

Hybrid View

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just over at http://the1000.com/ to list with some search engines, directories etc. There sure is a lot of Yahoo wanna-be's out there...

In your oppinion, is a diretory the best method for searching? Is it flexible enough to keep up with the fluid nature of the web?

Just thinks that maybe there is a better way... (Don't worry though -- I am not planning on setting up yet another search engine...)

Christian

------------------
    Axie automatically performs free, customizable
    searches for new websites and delivers the links
    to members by personalized email.
    http://www.axie.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think directories of this sort are the best way of searching available. The best so far is the Open Directory Project, www.dmoz.org, because it has such a huge array of reviewers.

Directories choose only the best sites, whereas search engines can bring up useless sites with no content.

The only bad thing about the ODP is that some reviewers will give their own web sites a better review than other sites, making it slightly unfair.

Yahoo is also very slow, with a 6-8 week waiting time before your site is included in the directory (if it is included at all!). Clearing this backlog would make it much better IMHO.

------------------
    Daniel Irvine
    f-free - Free Stuff and Freebies!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    directories with live reviews seem to be the best thing.

------------------
    I'VE GOT YOUR $MONEY$ HONEY!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Directories are good if you are looking for stuff more general, like cars, but if you are searching for something very specific like "February 24, 1500" then a search engine is the only way to go. The best of course is a combination directory and search engine.