SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess I'm ready for some punishment

This is my first large scale project that I've ever done in php and xhtml. Actually it's my first xhtml site I've ever done period. I know that I'm not that good at graphic design, but regarding the graphics I will say that any of them that are on the site that I did not create myself, I adhered to the guidelines on the fansite kit that I obtained them from.

This site is just a personal hobby, I don't intend on making a substantial amount of revenue from it or anything. If the one google ad pays for hosting, I would be happy. The amazon ad is really just there to showcase the latest games for purchase, I don't forsee any real revenue being generated from it.

I tried to create it tableless, but I kept running into problems with the way the different browsers were handling the layout. I got so frustrated that I switched to Transitional and used tables. Not the best approach, I know, but again this is a personal hobby site. I can say, however, that it looks identical in IE6, IE7, FF, Netscape and Opera. I didn't try konquerer yet, I still haven't gotten around to testing that one.

I also know that it's not very SEO friendly at the moment, and any suggestions regarding modifications I can make for that are welcome as well. The whole thing is coded in .php and in hindsight I should have utilized caching (I have HUGE db lists, some of them in the thousands per page), I'm in the process of trying to figure that out right now.

The content is sparse, but then again it's not even 24 hours old and I'm adding to it daily. Plus, there's not alot of traffic going to it yet.

The url is:

http://www.gamefob.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site looks alright. I think the main content could do with a bit more whitespace on either side.

The drilling down to get to actual content is a bit tedious. If I click on guides, games etc at least add some recent and most popular examples on the intermediate pages.

You want some comments on SEO friendliness? Alright, you asked for it

Your meta-tags should be page specific and backed up by content on the page to have even the small benefit they can have.

The largest heading on your home page appears to be an H5! The words and phrases in headings are important. Use an H1 for your main heading on each page. If you need subheadings then go down through h2, h3 as appropriate. Style them using CSS if you don't like the default look. On that subject, I clicked through to "Diddy Kong Racing Guide". It looks as if you've just dumped a text file into a PRE tag. If you don't reformat them for the web then you are missing the opportunity to e.g. add headings.

The intermediate drill down pages are going to be rather dull for the search engines as well as the users due to the tiny amount of content.

The phrases in emphasised content (ie b, strong, em) is also important. You appear to be using strong all over the place wherever you simply want the text to be bolder. Use CSS for styling and reserve strong for picking out content that needs emphasis.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty nice site, as above I think it would benefit by adding more whitespace (padding!) to the content area, maybe experiment with the font a bit too, then it'll be really sweet

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fremeere View Post
    The site looks alright. I think the main content could do with a bit more whitespace on either side.

The drilling down to get to actual content is a bit tedious. If I click on guides, games etc at least add some recent and most popular examples on the intermediate pages.

You want some comments on SEO friendliness? Alright, you asked for it

Your meta-tags should be page specific and backed up by content on the page to have even the small benefit they can have.

The largest heading on your home page appears to be an H5! The words and phrases in headings are important. Use an H1 for your main heading on each page. If you need subheadings then go down through h2, h3 as appropriate. Style them using CSS if you don't like the default look. On that subject, I clicked through to "Diddy Kong Racing Guide". It looks as if you've just dumped a text file into a PRE tag. If you don't reformat them for the web then you are missing the opportunity to e.g. add headings.

The intermediate drill down pages are going to be rather dull for the search engines as well as the users due to the tiny amount of content.

The phrases in emphasised content (ie b, strong, em) is also important. You appear to be using strong all over the place wherever you simply want the text to be bolder. Use CSS for styling and reserve strong for picking out content that needs emphasis.
    Having content on the drill down pages is a good idea, let me put some thought into it and try to have a good example soon.

I'll also see what I can do about the h5 and strong tags.

As for the meta data, I was already in the works of trying to figure out how to do that, so maybe within the next couple of days.

However, regarding the text file in the pre tag, it's quite a bit more complicated than that (it's stored as a blob), but I have the opportunity to grab meta data from it before it gets displayed.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a few minutes to try and implement a few simple SEO optimization changes you mentioned.

Obviously, there are several areas I am still using mis-using strong in, but if you would, please let me know if I am on the right track with the main page.

This is all a learning experience for me, so any additional insight is appreciated. I'll post again when I implement a few of the other changes.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may want to check up on your keywords and description
    The best keywords are not always what you think
    and the first part of the description is what search engines use
    below is some keyword suggestion tools
    hope this helps
    falcon

http://freekeywords.wordtracker.com/
    http://tools.seobook.com/general/keyword/
    http://www.selfseo.com/keyword_suggestion_tool.php
    http://inventory.overture.com/d/sear...ry/suggestion/
    http://www.keyworddiscovery.com/search.html

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, I'll take a look at those and see if I can come up with some better keywords and descriptions.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's a nice site overall. I'm not even slightly into video games (I know, I know, I'm a boring old fart), but I quickly figured out exactly what this site was and how it worked.

I found the voting box somewhat intrusive, being right in the middle of the home page content area. What do you think about putting it at the bottom?

Since a major thrust of your site is to elicit additional guides and codes, you might consider making the "add guide" and "add code" links more visible. Maybe put them as attractive graphic button links just above the "Recently Added Guides" section. I personally didn't even notice them, until I started asking myself, "wait a minute... how do I add a guide??" and then looked around and saw them.