User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vertical scrollbar clipping content in IE6

Hi - I wonder if anyone can help.

In IE 6.0 when the content on the page makes a vertical scrollbar appear - it overlaps the right edge of the header bar.

I have tried stuff like

* html body {
    margin-right:15px;
    }

But of course where the content doesn't make a scrollbar appear there is an unnecessary right spacing.

I am using floats with width 100% (can't use auto because of Opera). The site works fine in other browsers.

I am sure there is an easy solution - but I can't find it!

Thanks
    Steven

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Hi,

It sounds to me as though you are doing something more complicated than you are telling us.

By default IE has the vertical scrollbar visible (although there are no controls on it) and it doesn't take up any extra space or overlap when the controls are triggered.

You must therefore be doing something to remove this scrollbar which will have the effect of causing it to overlap when it is required. For instance this happens if you have set overflow:auto on html and body and positioned an absolute elements at 100% width and then have content that needs a vertical scrollbar.

You may need to provide a working example so we can see what the situation is and whether anything can be done.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Steve,

As Paul said, it'll be best if you can provide us with a working example of your Web page (either that or post the code here using the appropriate forum code tags).