SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please, review AmusingVideos.net - website and idea

Hi, I would really like to hear some feedback about my new website http://www.amusingvideos.net.

The idea is that everyone can have their own site with funny videos from youtube ( more to come ) with their own Adsense ads! By registering you will get a subdomain like your_login.amusingvideos.net and all your videos and ads will be placed there.

The best videos will be also displayed on the main page to boost your traffic.

If you want more details on the idea, read them on the site.

I would really like to hear your opinions of the website and the idea itself. I would be very happy if you helped me a little bit by adding some content also .
    http://www.yourshoutbox.com <- FREE chat for your website - limited offer
    http://www.smartchatbox.com <- let your visitors talk

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Well aside from the fact that your site violates youtubes terms of use and that youtubes is owned by Google.

What were you thinking when you developed this site?
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you don't understand the idea .

Youtube allows and encourages to place their video on other sites. I don't host them, steal them or anything. I just place them as embedded objects. I don't allow even to upload any videos.

Each video on youtube has its own html code, that can be used to put it on any other site. It's on the right, next to the video. I just allow to paste these videos as that code.

Hope that cleared things up. Waiting for opinions now .

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    From You Tube Terms of Use
    4. General Use of the Website -- Permissions and Restrictions
    A. You agree not to distribute in any medium any part of the Website, including but not limited to User Submissions (defined below), without YouTube's prior written authorization.
    C. You agree not to access User Submissions (defined below) or YouTube Content through any technology or means other than the video playback pages of the Website itself, the YouTube Embeddable Player, or other explicitly authorized means YouTube may designate.

D. You agree not to use the Website, including the YouTube Embeddable Player for any commercial use, without the prior written authorization of YouTube. Prohibited commercial uses include any of the following actions taken without YouTube's express approval:

* sale of access to the Website or its related services (such as the Embeddable Player) on another website;
    * use of the Website or its related services (such as the Embeddable Player), for the primary purpose of gaining advertising or subscription revenue;
    * the sale of advertising, on the YouTube website or any third-party website, targeted to the content of specific User Submissions or YouTube content;
    * and any use of the Website or its related services (such as the Embeddable player) that YouTube finds, in its sole discretion, to use YouTube's resources or User Submissions with the effect of competing with or displacing the market for YouTube, YouTube content, or its User Submissions. (For more information about prohibited commercial uses, see our FAQ.)

5. Your Use of Content on the Site
    E. You agree to not engage in the use, copying, or distribution of any of the Content other than expressly permitted herein, including any use, copying, or distribution of User Submissions of third parties obtained through the Website for any commercial purposes.
    Moreover, considering Google's stand on duplicate content, your website is going to have abysmal placement in the Search Engines.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, if it is really against YouTube TOS, then I am closing the website. Please close this thread.

But I really don't understand then, what is this HTML code for next to the video if we are not allowed to place it on other sites.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's this:

* use of the Website or its related services (such as the Embeddable Player), for the primary purpose of gaining advertising or subscription revenue;

and this:

* the sale of advertising, on the YouTube website or any third-party website, targeted to the content of specific User Submissions or YouTube content;

That Shyflower is referring to. In my opinion you did two things wrong. First, you created a website just for google advertising. The second is, you said you created a website just for google advertising.

You still have a good idea, just make it a blog, either your own or user-submitted, with the ability to embed youtube videos and comment on them. Forget about the whole adsense aspect while you are creating it and you'll find that you may end up with something original.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice - I am still thinking of how to change this website so that it would be completely legal.

I don't think that making a blog out of that (and allow other people to create blogs there) is such a good idea, as there are so many blog sites (with blogger.com as example) already, that allow adsense that I am afraid it would be very hard (or impossible) to break through. My idea was to make something easier, but still user-generated.

Any advice of how to modify it to be legal would be still very appreciated . Well, in the worst case I will just dump it.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, since I didn't see the original, maybe I don't have a clear understanding of precisely what you were trying to do.

It sounds like you were allowing users to embed youtube videos on a page, and enter their google adsense account number so it would display the ads from their account when someone browsed to that video.

In a sense (without seeing the actual implementation), it was a blog without the words (which doesn't make it a blog, I know, I'm getting to my point), just an embedded video, that allowed them to do their own advertising. There are currently other blog sites out there that allow you to both use your own adsense account to advertise as well as embed games and videos in the blog.

The difference is, those sites really are blogs and they serve an actual purpose of delivering content other than just redirecting youtube content for revenue (that's the illegal part).

In my opinion, if you read the youtube (or any other similiar sites) guidelines too literally you'll find that you really can't do anything with any content if any revenue is generated in any way. You have to define a gray area for yourself, which can usually be answered with the question: am I creating this website for the right reasons?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I allowed and encouraged users to comment the video or to tell a story about it, but still I wouldn't call that site a blog for sure.

Sometimes it is hard to see the border between what is legal and what is not, especially if youtube guidelines are not very clear as they do allow to place and comment their videos on blogs, where there are other ads as well.

There are also many sites with youtube movies (only with youtube movies) and with many ads and they probably don't have any problems. Well, I asked them if that idea is fine with them and will wait for the answer.

If it is not, then my problem begins, where to go next with my script .

Currently I removed all ads and also disabled putting your adsense code on the site. Well, now probably nobody will be interested to get an account there, but still I would like to hear some comments about the site .

I just got a reply saying that they can't comment on this individual case and that I should contact a lawyer . . . Not really helpful .
    Last edited by kuszeras; Sep 11, 2007 at 02:18.