SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GamerGeeks.co.uk - Please Review!!

GamerGeeks.co.uk - Please Review!!

I recently launched a new Flash Gaming website called GamerGeeks. I have spent many hours on the design, and even more coding it. Taking design ideas from many sources and compiling them; hoping to create an attractive and pleasant environment for my visitors.

Anyway, I am all out of ideas, and would appreciate some advice to make this website even better.

I am awake that the site doesn't appear correctly in IE6, but it should work in Firefox and IE7. I am running windows vista so hacking the code has been a problem with IE6. But I will fix that in time.

As much constructive advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

The url is: http://www.gamergeeks.co.uk

Here is a small preview:

For those who are interested in testing the site you can by using:

username: demo
    password: demo

Alternatively create your own free acount!
    Last edited by Floomo; Sep 9, 2007 at 10:30. Reason: Added demo account information.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like it. I think you have a great idea and it is apparently coded well. Everything was easy to use and uderstand. I played a few games on it and was able to move in and out between items easily.

I like how you give the embed links, and I also like the RSS feature, I can see you have put a lot of work into it and it looks great.

The only thing I don't like is the red. I understand you are trying to grab attention with it, but it just looks so out of place it throws me off every time I see it. Maybe the whole box doesn't have to be red? Just a couple of sentences you want to grab attention to?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nicely done.

The layout reminds me of ****.com, user friendly. Only thing i can think of that set the page apart is the gray navigation bar background, somehow it does not contrast with the header.

Good luck with the site.
    TheNewsFeeds.com - Feed your RSS Needs
    IPThing.com - Make longggggg URLs short!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the comment folks.

A few updates:
    • Removed Pink/Red Guest Welcome Message.
    • Added Arcade Pixel Banner, hopefully making the site more interesting.
    • Changed Colour Scheme to make it more complimentary, and uniform.

I will also have the website XHTML valid, and will have a working IE6 stylesheet, in the next week.

Please advise further.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a big fan of wasting that much space on image banners, but that looks really nice.

Maybe it's just the game geek in me that enjoys it so much.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi. This looks like a very cool site. However, when pointed my browser to the URL, the page came up with the side menu on the left and then a huge amount of white space on the right. When I scrolled down about half-way I came to game listings. I don't know if this was a problem with the page coming up for me or if there really is that amount of white space on the page. I guess the first suggestion I would make is to do something with all of that space. However, I think you have a nice site, looks great, and is built for use and member interaction.

Evan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi thanks for your comment.

You mention a white space problem. I am only aware of this for Internet Explorer Version 6. As mentioned above, I haven't created a compatible css stylesheet. That will be done very soon, rectifying this problem.

I am also in the process of integrating invision power board, so that members can post topics about games, make requests and just generally expand the community.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is very well designed. I think that it is easy on the eyes, and looks very modern and interesting. The functionality is great as well.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This looks very nice. I like the clean and open design.

The functionality is easy to use and simple to navigate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, amazing for a game site, usually you see some poorly made ones, and the only ones that stand out are big ones like newgrounds, etc.

But your is very organized, and nicely done.

Only thing I would recommend is to change the navigation, looks poor with squares.
    iPhonevine.com - We make applications grow.
    Providing design services for iPhone developers.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But it's a little slow

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mycwcgr View Post
    But it's a little slow
    Well it all depends on your internet connection speeds. I can appreciate slow speeds on dial ups, but then arcade sites aren't made for those people. Gamergeeks is much faster than the likes of Miniclips.

Also, please only post constructive comments. As I want to be able to improve GamerGeeks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The layout is simple yet effective - reminds me of d igg. Good choice of colors and appropriate use of graphics to keep the load time down but still attract the user's attention. It's clean and well organized, someplace where I might be tempted to register.

Like it was said above, in a sea of poorly designed and slow loading game sites, yours stands out from the rest. Bravo
    Nick . all that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream
    Show someone you care, send them a virtual flower.
    Good deals on men's watches

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not bad design in game style i liked fun played few games... not bad choice but keep updating games more offen

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very impressive.

Totally professional look and feel, slightly ****-esque, especially the top-bar. Only real constructive comment I could offer is that an AJAX login thing a la **** would be neat.

Otherwise, very smart and well constructed. Well done mate!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very great site, I only need to suggest your background color, if it little bit darker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the comments folks. It really helps. I have been thinking about ajax for a while, but as I am not familiar with this, maybe I will leave it out for now.

I have just installed invision power board, and skinned it to match the main website of gamergeeks. Hopefully this will facilitate my users questions and provide a medium for game requests etc.

Anymore comments?