SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's amazing the way simple little one month old sites w/o meta tags can get onto high traffic search engines but I can't. What's up w/ that? I've been using Dynamic Submission 5.0 on a regular basis for the past 2 mo. (i also did it earlier, but no regularly) and I still can't get on to the high traffic search engines such as altavista. What is the big secret i'm missing out on? Is there a specific format for seperation of words in meta tags, or maybe I need to change the order of my keywords? Maybe it's not even my meta tags, maybe something else? You can go ahead and check out my meta tags at: http://www.acrosstheway.8m.com

note: the html you see on acrosstheway.8m.com has the same meta tags as the page on crosswinds (which is where you should get forwarded to)

[This message has been edited by dr_drew (edited August 07, 2000).]

Matt Mickiewicz
    SitePoint Community Guest
    You should avoid using automatic submission programs when dealing with the Top ten engines.

Meta Tags are largely irrelevant to rankings. Having lots of links pointing to your site, your own domain name (a must! They only cost $12 US a year right now), and good keyword frequency are much more important. Read through some of the content on PromotionBase.com for more info on search engine optimization.

------------------
    Matt Mickiewicz - Co-Founder/Administrator
    http://www.SitePoint.com - Resources to Build and Grow Your Site!
    matt@sitepoint.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Matt nailed it...

A wise man once said; "Any search engine worth being listed in, is worth the time to submit to manually."...or something like that.

As for our "secrets"...well, if we told you they wouldn't be secrets anymore.

------------------
    Chris Bowyer chris@mycoding.com
    MyCoding.com: Visit for Launch Notification!
    DomainMailings.com: Who Says All The Good Ones Are Taken?
    MovieForums.com: Talk About Your Favorite Flicks!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the own domain name is very important, but i would recommend to submit your url to the most important search engines manual (altavista, excite, yahoo, lycos etc.)

rgds,
    markus
    http://www.webtipz.com

http://www.MachMehrDraus.de
    Digital Photography and more!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also make sure to use descriptive tags and lines as much as possible. ALT image tags also help in indexing. Good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, maybe for SEs, a true virtual domain (you dot) could get a better ranking.
    However, with Yahoo listing, I've observed a site which is hosted on freeservers (.8m.com), and it's in the top list
    I'm not sure that is it now, but it definitely scored high in the past.
    I think you could try to search on "pay per click", or sth similar. Sorry, I don't remember exactly. And the site I think is masterclick.8m.com
    - Son Nguyen
    AdSpeed.com - Ad Serving and Ad Management Made Easy

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Proper meta tag is esential but cannot guarantee a good listing. Some searche engines like Excite doesn't read meta tag. So, you can see sites with no meta tag and rank high there. To rank high, ensure your content is keyword rich, more quality sites like to you, own domain name, and a relevant domain name.
    Addto! e-commerce and Internet Marketing Directory
    Collects and refers hundreds of ecommerce, internet marketing, and website development solutions and advice to small business owners.
    You can access various domain registration info. too

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its best to try and include as many relevant keywords from your Meta tags, in your content if at all possible.. but avoid the "trick" that says you can blanket your keywords by coloring them the same color as your background, as some search engines (Altavista, for one) consider that spamming and will block and ban your site for eternity.

Sherice Jacob - Web Improvement Expert
    Improve Website Conversions | eBook Covers
    Follow Me on Twitter!