SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

unexplainable gap (and REALLY tried EVERYTHING)

Hi,

it's been a long time since I had to ask anyone help on a XHTML/CSS related problem but what I'm experiencing now is driving me NUTS!

I've got a template which you can find at -- removed -- andd if you scroll down to the bottom (in IE6 & 7) you'll notice an orange bar. This orange bar is actually the background-color of the body (which shoudn't be there since there nothing that I can find to cause this gap).

All the elements in the page which could have any influence on this have margin and paddding set to 0. I've tried removing the footer / rightcol etc but the gap remains. The gap also increases if you increase the font-size with your browser (the gap at textsize medium is 14px, with textsize set on largest, the gap is 18px high.

I've removed all whitespace between the closing body tag and the div-closers.
    Code HTML4Strict:
    </div></div></div></div></div></div></body></html>

but when I enter a &nbps;

Code HTML4Strict:
    </div></div></div></div></div></div>&nbsp;</body></html>

the gap remains exactly the same, indicating it's not a padding/margin problem otherwise the gap would become larger.

I've tested different doctypes (transitional and strict) but also no change.
    The XHTML and CSS both validate ... I'm really lost as to what could cause this problem.

Any help would be appreciated!

thanks in advance.
    Bart
    Last edited by Percept; Sep 18, 2007 at 08:27.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy DaveWoods's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The XML declaration before the doctype will be putting IE into quirks mode, remove this line from your code and I suspect it'll work

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by csswiz View Post
    The XML declaration before the doctype will be putting IE into quirks mode, remove this line from your code and I suspect it'll work

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    Thanks for your reply but I added that line to see if it changed anything. It's gone now but the gap remains.
    (I use that line to get arrround the text-selection bug)

(Not to sound arrogant or anything but I'm a professional XHTML/CSS coder and have been for 3-4 years ... if this this turns out to be a 'simple' problem I'm going to freak out!!!)

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy DaveWoods's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm no JavaScript expert so you may have to ask this question on the JavaScript forum but if you take the following two lines out of your code then the problems magically disappears

Code:
    <script type="text/javascript" src="jscache/script.js" ></script>
    	<script type="text/javascript" >setCurrentUrl('/');setCurrentUrlWithVars('/');setCodePath('')</script>

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by csswiz View Post
    I'm no JavaScript expert so you may have to ask this question on the JavaScript forum but if you take the following two lines out of your code then the problems magically disappears

Code:
    <script type="text/javascript" src="jscache/script.js" ></script>
        <script type="text/javascript" >setCurrentUrl('/');setCurrentUrlWithVars('/');setCodePath('')</script>
    Indeed it does! WTH ...
    Damned, that was about the only thing I hadn't tried removing ... thanks a lot Csswiz!

Now figuring out why that javascript file makes my layout change ...