SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can I use AJAX/JS to load content?

I'm busy with a page design that's proving a bit annoying. It's an about us page but there's a lot of content. My client wants me to break each section up into a different page.

So I've built an 'about us' menu in my sidebar, and I want to pull the applicable content into the content area of the template when a button is clicked without the page re-loading. Ideally the content should be pulled from external files to make updates easier.

I'm sure there's an easy AJAX/JS solution out there, but I'm not sure where to find one. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't call Ajax easy (by the way, it's officially Ajax now, not AJAX). Also, since you are changing the primary content in the page, Ajax is probably not the best route to go.

I read one of the highest rated books out there on Ajax (Ajax in Action). In this book lies one of the best quotes I've read about Ajax. It goes something like this.

Ajax is one of the hottest technologies today. It's also the best way to blow a deadline.
    I recommend avoiding it if you can and use traditional page loads.

Otherwise, I'd be glad to help you through the parts of a solution but it's difficult to supply an end-to-end solution via forum.
    Larry Kagan
    Lead Web Application Developer
    Superiocity, Inc.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Larry,

Interesting. OK, for now I'll do it the traditional way. If I get some time towards the end of the project, I'll try something a bit more fancy.