User Tag List

Hybrid View

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you feel is the best way to promote your website? Through software? submit it by hand? Hire a professional to submit it for you? I'm looking for a good, preferably inexpensive route to take for site marketing. What gets results for you?

------------------
    Sparkie - SitePoint Moderator
    www.pawsitronic.com - Your One-Stop Web Design Solution!
    ICQ# 82621206 MSN: sparkiecat@hotmail.com

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by Sparkie:
    What do you feel is the best way to promote your website? Through software? [B}NO ![/B]submit it by hand? [B}YES![/B]Hire a professional to submit it for you? [B}PLEASE DON'T DO THIS ![/B]I'm looking for a good, preferably inexpensive route to take for site marketing. What gets results for you?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I typed a huge response to this (it took me like 10 mins) and then it didn't submit and I lost it

I'll summarise again !

software : selling points are the 5000 + engines most of which are useless and will priovide NO traffic. Concentrate on the biggies ! Yahoo, dmoz, Altavista etc....

proffesionals : They will rarely know more than you, and will more than likely do worse as it will be some kid who dosen't care about you. He'll just submit and forget about you. You need to monitor !! I used to work in net marketing for 3 months before I moved to development. I still have to market my companies and friends sites though but believe me have totally turned a round the companies approach to marketing. It was awful ! They also had net amrkleting clients who I feel sorry for (or did !)

Metatags, Take some time with these. Go for a mixture of competitive keywords and also a bit obscure keywords. You will more than likely get near the top with the half abscure ones and in the middle for the competitive ones. Gor example I have been marketing a firends fitness site (personal training) and after three weeks they ranking top under the site name and "physique transformation". I have also managed to get them ranked under competitive words like "fat loss" and "losing weight" and diet programs" but only like 19 or 20. Its early days yet though !!

Make the keyword amounts length of the descriptions different for the pages,. That way you can monitor what pages rank best and see what is working and adjust accordingly.

WEBPosition Gold !! you have to get a copy. Its soooo good. You can run reports for say 10 keyowrds and it will run off a report telling what position you rank under those worsds in ALL the top engines. You can also see who beat you so you can hopefully see why and make your better. It is soooo time saving. How long would this take to do ! It also has some good page analysises to suggest tips..

Well hope this helps. Thats just the engines. News letters, GOTO.com, banner advertising, well thats another story ! GOTO is good though. A must for cheap traffic !

Cloughie.

Feel free to ask any q's

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cloughie, I have a couple more specific questions, and wanted to send them to you in an email, but it bounced back to me.. How do I contact you?

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    daniel.clough@onlyinter.net

email away ..

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just noticed I put a . instead of a _ in my profile. Will change..

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting point from Cloughie about the professional marketers.

As I see it (and I am not a professional myself) there is no reason for business on the Internet to be less transparent than normal business. If our market driven economy works (which I think it does), the bad marketers, as you described them should be out of business pretty soon, when their yield (performance compared with investment) is compared with the competition. What I have seen of the web promotion professionals, the competition is really intensive.

One issue is however important to note. How to evaluate the professional work? That could of course be difficult, especially for those new to web marketing. But the same problem applies to business consulting, an industry well established.

By this I am not implying that the typical website owner can be ignorant about web promotion strategies. Some of the web promotion strategies cannot be done outside the webmaster reach, like networking for example. Another thing is that shopping for web promotion profession involves some information cost. you need time and effort to look for a good professional and you need to know what he is doing and why. But to distrust web promotion professionals all together is not the correct thing to do (in my opinion). They should be included as a possible part of your marketing strategy. When to use them or not to use them is however a difficult question, beyond the reach of this short comment.

jonpall

------------------
    Web Promotion Advice http://www.webpromotionadvice.com/

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you guys think about the companies that guarantee Top 10 rankings. I have come accross companies that guarantee me 4-10 Top 10 rankings for $1,000 plus like $150 per month.

Is that good? I have been working on my pages myself to submit them and I have to tell you it takes a lot of time.

P.S. Anybody want to trade links for better search engine placement?

------------------
    Dedicated to making you profitable!
    Reviews of 30 pay per click search engines, cheap domain registration and top affiliate programs.
    http://www.webmasterlane.com

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $1000 and $150 per month...

Damn thats is a lot...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the moment, most of my traffic comes from niche portals on the subject of my site and related websites linking to mine. So I would suggest you look for high traffic directories of sites like yours and submit to them, encourage people to link to your site and similar promotion methods.

Matt Mickiewicz
    SitePoint Community Guest
    $1000 and $150 a month is extremely cheap if they can live up to their promises. Depending on how you value your time, doing it yourself could end up costing you tens of thousands of dollars.

Just because you don't pay for it doesn't mean it's free. How much money could you make if you used the time you invest in mastering the search engine optimization game on something else?

------------------
    Matt Mickiewicz - Co-Founder/Administrator
    http://www.SitePoint.com - Resources to Build and Grow Your Site!
    matt@sitepoint.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "...guarantee me 4-10 Top 10 rankings for $1,000 plus like $150 per month..."

For which terms? Besides the fact that no one else than the search engine employees themselves can "guarantee" any sort of ranking, it does make a difference whether they "guarantuee" top rankings for lets say "sex" or "Joe´s anything store for blabla".

A marketeer CAN do a good job since he (should) know(s) a lot more than you about this issue. But I wouldn´t hire someone who actually guarantees search engine rankings.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is impossible to guarantee a rank. Engines such as Altavista seem to rotate the sites that are in the top 30 or so on the same term.

Unless they run the engine, they can't guarantee a rank.