SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Search Engines in Rails?

Anyone know of any open source code regarding using rails as a search engine? (ie like google - not a site search)

Just want to play with it for an idea I have - but don't want to code it for a curiosity

Google Searching the topic just brings up lot's of references to ferret and the like for searching your own site.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google has "spider" programs that crawl the web and build huge indexes. The data retrieved is then stored in gigantic server farms. Not to mention there is a ton of horsepower used to build the indexes and return results. Are you trying to find a Ruby program that will do all that? I'm a little confused about what you are looking for here.
    localhost80.com 250+ resources for web developers.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes something similar to Google. I do of course realize that I don't have a big fat datacenter siting in my backyard.

There are php, asp, and even perl scripts that function as a toned down search engine. That's what I'm looking for.

Like I said though - no biggie. I just want to play with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ferret is the best you'll find as of now (even though it isn't perfect last I checked). It's a port of Lucene.
    Ohai!