SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Autorun CD-ROM Mac?

Hi,

Im working on a project that will need to auto run a cd-rom when it's placed in the drive for both PC and Mac, i've got the PC version.....

File name: AUTORUN.INF
    <snip>

[autorun]
    Open=FileToRun.exe
    ICON=\menu\iconPloy.ico

</snip>

does anyone know the Mac equivalent to this? the file name, command list and how to target Mac icon files?

also is there an easy way to create Mac icon files from bmp's, png's or tif's for example?

thanks for your help

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

This information might be out of date now, as I made my last multi platform CD a while back. To get a file to start up automatically when a CD is inserted in a mac, you have to choose it when burning the disc. I did this in Toast - Choose Mac/ISO hybrid and you can then choose the file which will be run from the CD. there was a problem a few years back with a virus which was spread through the Quicktime extension on the mac, which meant that a lot of people turned the option off for autostart form a CD ROM, but I guess everyone's over that now.
    Icon's are easy. You make a temporary partition in Toast, mount it on the desktop, press apple-i and click on the icon. If you've copied a picture from somewhere else already you can now just paste that in (apple-v). If you want to make one, use a 32x32pixel square at 72 DPI, make your icon, flatten it and copy it. There's also an application called Iconbuilder (for Mac and Win) which you can get at http://www.iconfactory.com which will allow you to do transparency and all that marlarky. I think it will also make OSX icons.

Hope this helps and good luck!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Extra...

Just read your post again and saw you asking about icon paths, etc. You don't need it, as you'll be burning the Mac version on an HFS partition, which sort of hardwires the icons in, to cut the crap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carbon, thanks fella ill check it out!