SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've read hundreds (literally) of articles on internet marketing and promotion, but I'm still unsure as to what to do!

I'm looking to promote my new website, WebDevPortal.com . It's current traffic comes only from a few sources since it's only a week old: TheFreeSite.com, SitePoint.com forums, Several email sites (people reading my weekly newsletter sent to 500+ webmasters, had a few points that linked to pages on the new site to bring traffic), etc.

No search engines yet, it takes more than a week to get listed in even the fastest of them.

I've submitted to several webmaster-specific web directories, and I've contacted about 15 related sites asking for link trades (only one has agreed, and it'll be two weeks before he can get the link up - but I know the guy and trust he'll get it done). I offered in return a link as a "Partner Site" on EVERY page of the site including the homepage. I've gotten responses from half of them basically turning me down, the other ones never responded.

So, what can I do? I want to know what your personal top referrers are, etc. Goto.com is NOT worth the price for my site (figure out the math right now and I'd lose money per visitor even at 1c/visit - I'm not being paid over $10CPM).

The site gets about 250 visitors/day right now from TheFreeSite.com, making up 97% of the traffic until a few search engines list me.

Are there any SPECIFIC places you're getting a lot of traffic from? Sites you've traded links with that have spaces open - that are related to webmaster/web design/promotion sites?

I know there are plenty of people in this forum that run sites with the same target audience as me. Anybody interested in sharing their secrets?

I'm not looking for general "trade links with a lot more sites, buy advertising" stuff, I want to know from the pros where your traffic is from, please I have ZERO budget right now, I spent the money on the domain name and hosting for the site.

I'm eagerly awaiting any replies!

------------------
    Dan Grossman (webmaster@webdevportal.com)
    http://www.webdevportal.com -
    The customizable portal for webmasters!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LET's GO

The fact that your site is not listed in the major search engines is bad, TOO BAD.

For the sites I submit to Yahoo are listed in 5 days maximum a within a week period - AMAZING! The same goes for other search engines.

No there's no magic with that. Just follow several [easy] guidelines:

1. Pay attention to your META tags. KEYWORDS and DESCRIPTION of the site. Also the to the TITLE of the site. There are certain number of charachters that each web robot accepts so try not to exceed those limits.

2. Make sure that the images in your pages have descriptive ALT parameter.

3. USE ONLY MANUAL SUBMISSION TO THE SEARCH ENGINES. NEVER USE AUTOMATIC SUBMISSION SOFTWARE OR WEB SITES. ...and the last...when submitting the site to the directories / search engines, please fill in their submission forms nor breaking their rules. For examply guys at Yahoo won't like if you put a promotional message in the title field.

That's all on search engines / directories and submission to them. Right now we are working on a new web directory / web crawler so I know some things in them.

Happy Marketing!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by WebDevPortal:
    I've read hundreds (literally) of articles on internet marketing and promotion, but I'm still unsure as to what to do!

I'm looking to promote my new website, WebDevPortal.com . It's current traffic comes only from a few sources since it's only a week old: TheFreeSite.com, SitePoint.com forums, Several email sites (people reading my weekly newsletter sent to 500+ webmasters, had a few points that linked to pages on the new site to bring traffic), etc.

No search engines yet, it takes more than a week to get listed in even the fastest of them.

I've submitted to several webmaster-specific web directories, and I've contacted about 15 related sites asking for link trades (only one has agreed, and it'll be two weeks before he can get the link up - but I know the guy and trust he'll get it done). I offered in return a link as a "Partner Site" on EVERY page of the site including the homepage. I've gotten responses from half of them basically turning me down, the other ones never responded.

So, what can I do? I want to know what your personal top referrers are, etc. Goto.com is NOT worth the price for my site (figure out the math right now and I'd lose money per visitor even at 1c/visit - I'm not being paid over $10CPM).

The site gets about 250 visitors/day right now from TheFreeSite.com, making up 97% of the traffic until a few search engines list me.

Are there any SPECIFIC places you're getting a lot of traffic from? Sites you've traded links with that have spaces open - that are related to webmaster/web design/promotion sites?

I know there are plenty of people in this forum that run sites with the same target audience as me. Anybody interested in sharing their secrets?

I'm not looking for general "trade links with a lot more sites, buy advertising" stuff, I want to know from the pros where your traffic is from, please I have ZERO budget right now, I spent the money on the domain name and hosting for the site.

I'm eagerly awaiting any replies!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
    george sazandrishvili

BEALTE WEB STUDIO
    http://www.bealte.com
    george@bealte.com

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What?

The site is 9 days old, I manually submitted to each search engine.

I've never heard of anyone getting their site listed in Yahoo! in 5 days w/out business express.

Basically I found your post not only gave me the impression that you're a rude person.. but that you must be either lying or confused about getting your site listed in all the search engines within a week.

Your post was not helpful in the least bit. Thanks anyway.

------------------
    Dan Grossman - WebDevPortal.com
    webmaster@webdevportal.com
    http://www.webdevportal.com - The customizable portal for webmasters!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It might still be worth paying for visitors through Goto.com. The point of your site is to provide users with info and for them to return. If you have a good percent of your visitors returning that $.05 or so you paid for them will pay for itself in the long run.

Plus, maybe they will tell their friends or even link to you. Also if they sign up for your newsletter it is worth the money right there.

------------------
    Dedicated to making you profitable!
    Reviews of 30 pay per click search engines, cheap domain registration and top affiliate programs.
    http://www.webmasterlane.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as paying for visitors...

I don't think it's going to help right now because I doubt most will return. The site has a horrible load time, and it doesn't fulfill it's role as a "portal" quite yet...

I'm attempting to redesign the site to make it worth using but I'm running into a lot of problems with Perl.. too inexperienced. I can't seem to finish the scripts to let users customize more of the homepage (reading multiple cookies & output based on preference).

And right now the newsletter isn't making me a penny.. once I hit the 500-subscriber mark it just slowed to a dribble. I'm getting only 1 or 2 new subscribers a day from my two sites - pretty pitiful - when with the same exact tactics I used to get 5-10.

------------------

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I think the advice bealte gave you was very valuable. If your not listed on the search engines then you missing 90% of potential traffic.

Just my $0.02

~Chris http://www.extremeforums.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by WebDevPortal:
    As far as paying for visitors...

I don't think it's going to help right now because I doubt most will return. The site has a horrible load time, and it doesn't fulfill it's role as a "portal" quite yet...
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dan,

I think that the above stated remark is the height of your problem. If you don't think that your visitors will come back, then your promition efforts will be in vein no mater where you promote. Webmaster traffic is the hardest to accumulate since the audiance is the smallest, and there is a lot of competition for that audience.

It will probably be more worth your time to fix up your site so you can promote it more easily, and retain more of your visitors. It's a more solid long term plan.

------------------
    Jason M. DesRoches
    Big Resources Network
    jason@123webmaster.com
    http://www.bigresources.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>If your not listed on the search engines then you missing 90% of potential traffic.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I find this a very illthoughtout statement. You only ever get alot from standard searchengines (not directories like Yahoo!) when you are high up on the first page of a very good keyword. I was second on AV for the keyword free javascript. Pretty good I though. I got about 20 hits a day from it.

You will get the majority of your traffic from other sites

------------------
    Thomas Minton
    the JavaScript Place

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Search engines:

Like I said, the site is a week old!
    I DID however get a Yahoo! listing (remember, 1 week old). Here's the trick to that:

ca.yahoo.com :&gt;

If you can get listed in Yahoo! Canada (which is easier than Yahoo!) they add you to the main Yahoo! directory too. Yahoo! doesnt update itself for a few days, so I hope to see some new traffic once I get listed.

Thomas Minton who just posted had traded links with one of my other sites in the past. His link brought me more traffic than any search engine other than Yahoo! and AltaVista. Reciprocal linking can be a powerful thing!

As far as fixing up the site.. I've been working on a new design for about a week. I expect to finish this week - it cuts the load time by 2/3rds, gives visitors about 5 more reasons to return, and is more pleasing to the eye.

I think I'm on the right track. But the question is - I hear of sites opening up to 500 or 1000 unique visitors a day, when my previous sites never built that in two years. None of the search engines, none of the reciprocal linking, none of the ezine ads brought that much - yet all the comments I got on the sites were positive.

I guess I was just looking for something I'm not going to find..

------------------

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"I guess I was just looking for something I'm not going to find."

"As far as paying for visitors...I don't think it's going to help right now because I doubt most will return."

"I found your post not only gave me the impression that you're a rude person.. but that you must be either lying or confused about getting your site listed in all the search engines within a week"

unquote

God your a negative person Dan...

You asked for advice, people gave you some, and you've rejected every piece of advice people gave: they're lying, they just don't understand your problem, the site is so bad it won't garner repeat visitors...

Sorry to be so hard on you, but the funny thing is, is that these people are giving you _good_ advice. AND they took the time out of their busy day to try to help you.

You've nailed the problem on the head: if your site is so bad visitors won't come back THEN FIX IT! But don't dismiss the advice that others have given you here. In my experiance it has all been good advice.

Now, whether you will take my suggestions or just (again) think "Awww, I'm just looking for something I'm not going to find......"

P.S. bealte was accurate about Yahoo... After submitting my first site Yahoo got back to me in three days (rejected), and after revamping and resubmitting they got back in two days (accepted!)

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The real question you have to ask yourself is what is internet marketing? and how does it relates to your site. World Wide Marketing by Jim Sterne is really a good read to make you to decide and then you will realise that listing in the major search engine is really a big job?. Apart from the preliminary preparation, write/prepare a web site promotion plan which will help you to focus better on what you are doing. A written promotion plan will be your road map or positioning system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't blame Dan for getting irritated when someone tells him to submit to search engines after he's said he'd done that.

------------------
    www.rotax-max.org
    the world's fastest growing race category