SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CSS Issue in FF and Opera

hi forum, i trying to insert an image that does fit FF and Opera9 but fits in IE6. any ideas how to fix that problem please. are there any hacks for that ?
    many thanks.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy DaveWoods's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IE6 is outdated and doesn't use the latest web standards. Without seeing the code, it's more than likely that your code is wrong and IE6 is interpreting it how it thinks it should be rendered.

Make sure you have a full doctype, write valid code and validate it using http://validator.w3.org, make it work in the latest standards browsers, Firefox, Opera, Safari, then IE7 and finally put in any hacks needed for IE6.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks csswiz, i am working on my local haven't got ie7 yet 'cause i think ie 6 is still more popular. other than that got Firefox, Opera, Safari, and the codes are are valid.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Valid code should display correctly in Firefox, Opera, Safari, and possibly IE7. It is less likely to display correctly in an antique browser such as IE6.

From what my site stats are showing IE6 and IE7 are now about equally popular and each is only slightly less popular than Firefox. (Firefox 35%, IE7 30%, IE6 30%, Opera 2%, Safari 2%, the other several thousand browsers all together 1%) With the speed at which IE6 is falling it will soon be 40%, 35% and 20% respectively as about as many seem to be dropping IE6 for Firefox as are upgrading from 6 to 7. (of course the stats for other sites may be completely different as it depends on your subject and the computer knowledge of your audience).
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm experiencing similar on my site although I receive about 60&#37; Firefox, 26% split nearly equally between the two IE's , Safari 6% and Opera 4%.

Moisea, you're correct in that IE6 certainly still needs supporting but using it as your basis for testing is wrong as you'll have problems then making it work for other browsers. The way I've suggested is a much easier method

Is the a link to the site available or could you post the full HTML and CSS so we can have a better look at what you're doing wrong?

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've found that if you use the least amount of code possible and are consistent with your design practices, you can get the code to render properly (and identically) in IE 6/7, Firefox, Opera and Safari without having to resort to hacks (save for behaviors, expressions and filters) 95&#37; of the time; of course that does require some experience under the ole' belt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I completely agree with you Dan. I know you'd usually point out at this point that we should be designing to the standards and not to a particular browser but it's difficult to grasp this method until you have experience and understand how different CSS you apply is going to affect some browsers differently.

Using the most standards compliant browser is usually the best option for beginners until they grasp what causes problems in other browsers.

I know I've created code in the past which has rendered the double margin bug, box model problems, duplicated text, haslayout problems and it's only through coming across these problems and searching for a fix that has improved my skills. In most cases nowadays, I don't need to test as I'm coding as I know what problems I'm likely to come across by using a certain method.

We all have different ways of coding which are down to our own experiences but I'm sure any of the experienced designers will tell you that you're in for a world of hurt if you use IE6 as your benchmark for testing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then recommend Opera instead of Firefox.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My order above was meant to read, check Firefox, Opera and Safari equally first, not in that order.... then check IE7 and then check IE6.

And I don't mean after the site is finished. During the development follow this process for each part of the page that is added or changed so that the site isn't a mess at the end. If there's a problem during development it's much easier to fix there and then.

Then recommend Opera instead of Firefox.
    Opera is more standards compliant than Firefox but isn't the benchmark Konqueror at the moment?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only if you're on Linux.

And by the way, I'd include both IE 6 and 7 in the "equally" department. With some time and experience under the belt, you won't need to have to worry about "fixing for IE" afterword.