User Tag List

Thread: Multiple CSS

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Multiple CSS

Had a quick look around and cant see any threads about this so here goes...

Im finding designing pages very long-winded if i want a site to look perfect in every browser. Theres always something out of place in IE 6 or then Firefox etc, so ive been using multiple style sheets for each browser,

Im currently including CSS files for IE 5, 6, 7 and a main stylesheet for firefox and other browsers

But i cant help feeling im doing it the wrong way surely theres an easier way to get around this?

Should i explore IE hacks?

What browser versions do you include style sheets for? Do people still use IE 5!?

What is the 'proper' way of doing things?

Thanks in advance for your advice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMHO the 'proper' way of doing things is to do it without hacks. I understand your situation though. It's a sad state of affairs. I usually only design for IE 6/7 and FF2.
    Winners Respond. Losers React.
    Singapore Web Designer

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo_dk View Post
    IMHO the 'proper' way of doing things is to do it without hacks. I understand your situation though. It's a sad state of affairs. I usually only design for IE 6/7 and FF2.
    Hello

Without hacks ? what is a hack ? separating css ? or include unnecessary css targeting only one IE ? without triggering errors with validators ? hack free ?

Brevity is greatly overrated brandaggio's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrowa View Post
    Had a quick look around and cant see any threads about this so here goes...

Im finding designing pages very long-winded if i want a site to look perfect in every browser. Theres always something out of place in IE 6 or then Firefox etc, so ive been using multiple style sheets for each browser,

Im currently including CSS files for IE 5, 6, 7 and a main stylesheet for firefox and other browsers

But i cant help feeling im doing it the wrong way surely theres an easier way to get around this?

Should i explore IE hacks?

What browser versions do you include style sheets for? Do people still use IE 5!?

What is the 'proper' way of doing things?

Thanks in advance for your advice
    If you study up on haslyout you won't need many if any hacks at all. If you pay attention to IE as you code - you can introduce no hacks.

I would not bother with anything below IE 5.5 and you might even want to drop that too (and just worry about 6 and 7), but it would depend on your audience.