SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Video Community Website Design

Hi Guys and Girls

I have currently done a first draft design of a video community website (design only). It is slightly condensed and also watermarked so for that i apologise.

Video Community Website (Design Only)

I have been round my designer and developer friends and am wanting the fine people here on Sitepoint to cast their views solely on the design.

Things to consider
    * Overall Feel
    * Execution
    * Concept
    * Layout and placement
    * Font/Text
    * Colors
    * Also anything else you would like to contribute

Thanks in advance,
    LT
    Taylor

Portfolio at Coroflot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just looked at the original image that was posted and a little too small here i will upload a better one shortly if requested
    Taylor

Portfolio at Coroflot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, Taylor. I really like the comp with precious few exceptions.

1. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the graphic, the little man behind the camera. That's cute and clever and unobtrusive, but instantly recognizable. Very good work there.

2. The background is too dark toward the top half of the page, to me anyway. And it gives me a sense of crowding. I like the lighter blue toward the bottom of the page much better.

3. One grammar/spelling nit: The correct way to state this would be "Featured Videos" and not "Featured Video's" as the apostrophe is only used in a contraction or to show possession, and in limited other instances, of which this is not. (I have an English degree (B.A., Trinity Univ., 1981; just so you know I'm not talking out of the side of my hat about this topic.)

4. That opaque whorl in the middle of the content area bothers me. Unless I look at the entire page, I cannot figure out what it is, and I still cannot really figure it out. Is it an "@"? I would drop that to keep your design a bit cleaner and less cluttered. The videos should be the star of the show. And for that reason I really like how you have arranged the featured video, the search box and the login box. They are all in the places that one would expect them to be.

Good work. Can't wait to see the finished product!
    Visit our web design site at http://www.pixelita.com
    Visit Serbia's biggest and best internet forum at
    http://www.burek.co.yu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you firstly for the kind words, it is a little difficult to get a full grasp of the design. See if it is still featured here
    Just to add - the swirl you see is a watermark not actually incorporated in the design this link should work much much better
    Taylor

Portfolio at Coroflot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, yes, that looks VERY NICE! Other than that one grammar nit and possibly experimenting with the background to be a solid color (a tad lighter, like it is at the bottom).. and as far as I'm concerned you have a winner! :-)
    Visit our web design site at http://www.pixelita.com
    Visit Serbia's biggest and best internet forum at
    http://www.burek.co.yu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is there a shadow around the links at the bottom, just makes it look a bit fuzzy.
    otherwise great design!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice. Almost flawless. But nothing is perfect, so I will try and help you out by nitpicking some things I found:

The text on the top right might be better off as white. It is hard to see, but then again it is a small image.

Wow, actually that is all I can find for now. Good luck I am sure this will be very successful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The design looks great...
    hope we can live it..
    seems it will be a great work.
    good luck.

Designer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty good, although I'm 50/50 with regards to your blue-white-blue approach. The colors seem to "wash" a little into each other. Maybe a third color for the background instead of blue? Or if not, maybe a third color instead of the blues within the page itself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the features we are looking at is applying a skins function to the website - so for people who don't like the blue/white look can edit it and apply other colors/styles.

LT
    Taylor

Portfolio at Coroflot