SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Generating graphics automatically

Hi, ive been working in web design for a while and one of the parts i hate most is, after designing a mockup to have to generate all the header graphics of each section.

Say, you agree with the client to have a Futura 18, Orange text with [SECTION] text (can be products, services, etc). Then you have to create each one of these. If the company has a site in another language you have to create them again.

Im interested in a software that, after you specify the attributes, mixes these with a text file or something and generates cropped images for each entry.

I know there are server side options for this but im interested in things i can run locally and then just upload the graphics.

Best regards from Colombia,
    Philly J

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed, there are server side solutions to this, but you seem to want to do it 'manually'...so:

What I would do is create a master layered file, with the text in Photoshop. Then I would simply replace the background image if required, and re-type the text. DONT flatten it, just click 'save for web', then you can play around with the compression settings, and create different gif or jpeg files accordingly.
    Jonnya Freelance Creative
    UK Freelance designer and web developer
    Website | Portfolio | Photoshop Tips

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your reply.

I want to do it locally, yet not "manually". I prefer to generate the images in my computer instead of having them generate themselves dynamically.

The problem is if i have to do many of these it gets rather long. Id like to have the photoshop settings on one side and the text on the other and just generate all the sites headings with one click.

If i change an attribute just have it generate the files again and they will be replaced.

Best regards,
    Phillyj

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're on a Mac, you might look into Debabelizer. I'm not sure if it can do what you want (I don't know if ANYthing can do what you want), but it would likely be the best bet.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahhh, I see, you want the work done for you!! OK, well another solution (not tried by myself) is to use Illustrator 10. I believe this has a 'mail merge' kind of facility, so you could have all your titles in an external file, and Illustrator would pull the text in bit by bit and put it in the defined area. This is a feature I think I read something about, but as I said, I have not personally tried it.
    Jonnya Freelance Creative
    UK Freelance designer and web developer
    Website | Portfolio | Photoshop Tips

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Generating graphics automatically

What About SVG?

Originally posted by phillyj
    Hi, ive been working in web design for a while and one of the parts i hate most is, after designing a mockup to have to generate all the header graphics of each section.

Say, you agree with the client to have a Futura 18, Orange text with [SECTION] text (can be products, services, etc). Then you have to create each one of these. If the company has a site in another language you have to create them again.

Im interested in a software that, after you specify the attributes, mixes these with a text file or something and generates cropped images for each entry.

I know there are server side options for this but im interested in things i can run locally and then just upload the graphics.

Best regards from Colombia,
    Philly J
    The only hell my mother ever raised was me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or even simple flash and throw some variables at it for page headers.
    The only hell my mother ever raised was me.