SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Review My Web Directory

Hello, just looking for comments on my web directory, Darren's Directory. The url is http://www.darrensdirectory.com. Thank you.
    Have a good day.

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You have good categorization, but your content looks a little cramped. Try
    1) widening your template
    2.) letting your template extend below the fold or
    3) using a smaller font size.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might want to consider using a Search Engine Friendly script so there are direct links to the folks listing in your directory.

SitePoint Enthusiast SUNNY ARSLAN's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say that you should wide the template and you should add your site links at the top or left side of the site.
    www.Anonymous.PK Free Anonymous Surfing & Anonymous Email

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    -The Google ads at the header makes it look like your navigation. This will definitely put some users off.

-I agree with Shyflower that the site looks a bit cramped.

-The dude's pic on the left is pretty cool. However, I don't think that can suffice for a logo. The lettering is not clear enough.

Other than that great site.
    Winners Respond. Losers React.
    Singapore Web Designer

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Great

Great little site! but

1. a little cramped (maybe juuust a shave smaller font, keep the line height though)
    2. got a bit confused by the main navigation - first impulse was to click [ads by Google] then looked (as per convension) to the left/below; guess some habits die hard - took me a while before I found it in the other (right) blue panel
    Progressive as it may be did put me off a little; I'd consider swapping those items around - the (very) cool guy looking the opposite way (flip horizontal) and the main menu

Other than that - Way to Go!
    Them that have, get.
    Murphy's Law of Random Distribution

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with what's already been said. Particularly the site looking a little cramped.

Here are some things to think about:

Page width
    I understand however that it has been ingrained into many people that they should design to certain dimensions so that the site would display properly on certain sized screens.

However, since LCD monitors are priced more reasonably nowadays, it would be wise to design with such considerations in mind.

I see you've designed for a 800x600 screen resolution.

A good strategy that we have gunned for in a recent project I've worked on is to allow a fluid layout, but also allow for the site to be viewed at 1024x768 resolutions.

Navigation Bar
    Most people read from left to right, top to bottom. So when I looked at your site for the very first time, I saw Ads by google at your header bar, further down the next thing I see is the search bar, onward I see the title cartoon image followed by content which seemed cramped, followed by the navigation on the right column.

Logo/Corporate Identity
    You need to decide on what your corporate colours are and such usually based on a logo and use those colours to further tie the site into the your brand.

If your logo is the cartoon title image, then perhaps you could go for something simpler and iconic so that it is easier to remember.

Miscellaneous
    I'd make a few changes to this layout, but one of the first things I'd do is to switch the location of the navigation and title image.

Also, you could perhaps play around and create a head mast for your site. Which contains your logo (you don't have one yet) and the search bar to the right of that. Similar idea to what the designers at dictionary.com have done.

By doing this, your site will be branded as by your logo or even just the name of your site in h1 tags as "Darren's Directory" so people will know where they are and the search bar will be prominently featured as the second thing that is seen if I were to go from left to right from the top.

Conclusion
    All in all, a good attempt and you have a place to start. I advise that you do some research as to what the other directory type sites are doing and get ideas as to what the status quo is.

HTH.

Regards,

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My favorite part is the illustration.
    I would move the links up to the top, and list them horizontally where you have the google now.

The title of the site is not very apparent (I see it on his shirt).

You are going to need captcha on the submit page or you are going to get hammered eventually.

-=WebHosting Commander=- a1whs.com's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good points have been mentioned above, most important being the page width, it should be fluid width for a directory that is not too graphics intensive like yours. Looks like you coded and made site from scratch so good work on that, but as suggested by david will help if you used some commercially available directory scripts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the critique so far guys.

So far here is what I plan on doing:
    - Make width dynamic.
    - Add captcha image to my submission page so only quality links submitted.
    - Reposition Navigation.

Things I will not be doing:
    - Getting rid of illustration.
    - Getting a commercial script over my custom one (I have been programming for 4+ years so I am faithful in my work.)

Keep them coming and thank you for the reviews .
    Have a good day.

SitePoint Evangelist bradical1379's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I would flip-flop the menu on the right side with the "logo" on the left. I would think its much more intuitive to the reader to go from left to right, so seeing the menu on the side would only make sense.

As mentioned above, the width seems too narrow. I am not sure if a fluid width is necessary since you don't have a lot of content (yet) on the main page. Maybe set it to 850 pixels so that a majority of people can still view it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a quick clarification, I was not advising you to get a directory script and use it for your site, but more look at the layout and see what they are doing and implement it yourself.

Good luck with it.

regards,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will be making the changes soon, and then I will request another review. Thanks for the help guys.
    Have a good day.