SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Opinions/Critique my self made ecommerce gift site

I've been working on this for a few months now, and it's very nearly finished so im looking for your opinons on it, what i could do to improve it.

The website is located at http://www.madforstuff.com/index.php

One of my main concerns is whether it conveys a trustful site which you would feel confident ordering from. I'm currently setting up a PO Box address which will also be featured on it.

It's currently got a few products on it, but i've still yet to order the last batch of products which will fill it up.

Thanks for your feedback in advance

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site looks trustworthy to me, from a purely visual standpoint. I like the spot on the home page which displays the featured product, as well as the 10 most popular. I looked at most of the top 10 products, clicked through to the shopping cart and everything looks professional and clean.

I noticed some typos on the Money Maze product description in the first paragraph, you misspelled the word puzzle. I do however like the product descriptions as they have some character to them rather than a boring explanation. Also, "Whats's from stopping me completing the maze and leaving the ball at the end of the maze for future easy access to my money?! ...eh?!" In my opinion it should read "What's stopping me from completing the maze and and leaving the ball at the end of the maze for future easy access to my money?! ...eh?!"

I also noticed a typo in the Doubrella product description, the first sentence says "Nobody like the rain, and certainly nobody likes the raindrops dripping down their neck whilst being hunched under an umbrella with more than one person!" Obviously the word "like" should be plural.

Looks like a great site, I love the interesting products you'll be selling.

BTW, this is my first post!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zachoverholser View Post
    The site looks trustworthy to me, from a purely visual standpoint. I like the spot on the home page which displays the featured product, as well as the 10 most popular. I looked at most of the top 10 products, clicked through to the shopping cart and everything looks professional and clean.

I noticed some typos on the Money Maze product description in the first paragraph, you misspelled the word puzzle. I do however like the product descriptions as they have some character to them rather than a boring explanation. Also, "Whats's from stopping me completing the maze and leaving the ball at the end of the maze for future easy access to my money?! ...eh?!" In my opinion it should read "What's stopping me from completing the maze and and leaving the ball at the end of the maze for future easy access to my money?! ...eh?!"

I also noticed a typo in the Doubrella product description, the first sentence says "Nobody like the rain, and certainly nobody likes the raindrops dripping down their neck whilst being hunched under an umbrella with more than one person!" Obviously the word "like" should be plural.

Looks like a great site, I love the interesting products you'll be selling.

BTW, this is my first post!
    Awww I feel honoured that your first post was reviewing my website!

Cheers for taking the time to point out the spelling mistakes; I'm currently putting a spell checker into the CMS as to prevent further spelling mistakes!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overall it's pretty good. I like the design and the simplicity of the site. Only thing I could reccomend is for hovering over the menu links make it turn yellow instead of black.
    Have a good day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers for the advice! I'll give it a shot and see how it looks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like it. it is a very nicely designed layout.
    I would suggest keeping the menu over links black, as you don't really have yellow anywhere else on your website.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richkid View Post
    I like it. it is a very nicely designed layout.
    I would suggest keeping the menu over links black, as you don't really have yellow anywhere else on your website.
    I agree, the yellow wouldn't work against a blue background.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grats, I love the look and feel of it.

The only thing that immediately sprang to mind was the lack of address and telephone number. I know you've got an address on the way, but a tel. number really is the icing on the cake, for me at least.

No tel. number, no order. When I shop online I have to be sure that if I get any problems, I can call someone...

Overall A-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by philm View Post
    Grats, I love the look and feel of it.

The only thing that immediately sprang to mind was the lack of address and telephone number. I know you've got an address on the way, but a tel. number really is the icing on the cake, for me at least.

No tel. number, no order. When I shop online I have to be sure that if I get any problems, I can call someone...

Overall A-
    I'm exactly the same; I just can't work on this full time at the moment so there would be no-one there to answer the phone! I'm hoping in a short amount of time it can make me a full time living, meaning I can get a phone number!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about some kind of outsourced basic telephone support? TBH I'm not even sure there is such a thing, but it may be a good intermediate step...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by philm View Post
    What about some kind of outsourced basic telephone support? TBH I'm not even sure there is such a thing, but it may be a good intermediate step...
    I'm not sure as to whether there's such a thing either. I can get calls diverted to my mobile, but id rather not do that to be honest. I'd much rather just wait until I can work on it full time.

SitePoint Enthusiast Bible Topics KJV's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know you are planning on putting a PO box address in for your company address. Sorry, personally I wouldn't trust a site with a PO box address unless I have dealt with the owner previously and already have built a trust relationship. Maybe others wouldn't have a problem.

As for a telephone number. I'm assuming you can't hire a firm that specializes in taking phone calls for businesses that do not have regular employees. At the very least, get a 800 number that goes to voice messaging that you can access any where. Call back as soon as you can during business hours to a least appear as if you are a regular business.

Are you considering this as a hobby not to be taken seriously, as a small mom and pop shop, or do you want to be looked on as a respectable business? If you want people to view you as a business then on the About mad for stuff, the joke needs to go and "dam right" needs to go. Don't let them know you still need to grow up so to speak. It would be better to saw we are a growing company or expanding company, if you want to sound more professional.

At least try to have one item per category. Otherwise, why is the category there in the first place?

On the delivery page, free shipping on all orders over 34.99 should be at the top, not way down at the bottom. Learn well from Amazon, People will buy that one extra item just to tip the price over the top just to get the free shipping especially if it is very close.

Pet peeve here. Where are the shipping costs. I hate to have to go through the shopping cart, fill in all my information, and get just to where I'm almost done just to find out how much it cost to ship something. Then if I decide to add another item, have to go through it all again. If I have to put in my credit card information before finding out the shipping cost, sorry you just lost the sale all together.

Other wise the site looks nice, the design and pictures are good and look professional. The navigation is very good and easy to find what you are looking for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bible Topics KJV View Post
    I know you are planning on putting a PO box address in for your company address. Sorry, personally I wouldn't trust a site with a PO box address unless I have dealt with the owner previously and already have built a trust relationship. Maybe others wouldn't have a problem.

As for a telephone number. I'm assuming you can't hire a firm that specializes in taking phone calls for businesses that do not have regular employees. At the very least, get a 800 number that goes to voice messaging that you can access any where. Call back as soon as you can during business hours to a least appear as if you are a regular business.

Are you considering this as a hobby not to be taken seriously, as a small mom and pop shop, or do you want to be looked on as a respectable business? If you want people to view you as a business then on the About mad for stuff, the joke needs to go and "dam right" needs to go. Don't let them know you still need to grow up so to speak. It would be better to saw we are a growing company or expanding company, if you want to sound more professional.

At least try to have one item per category. Otherwise, why is the category there in the first place?

On the delivery page, free shipping on all orders over 34.99 should be at the top, not way down at the bottom. Learn well from Amazon, People will buy that one extra item just to tip the price over the top just to get the free shipping especially if it is very close.

Pet peeve here. Where are the shipping costs. I hate to have to go through the shopping cart, fill in all my information, and get just to where I'm almost done just to find out how much it cost to ship something. Then if I decide to add another item, have to go through it all again. If I have to put in my credit card information before finding out the shipping cost, sorry you just lost the sale all together.

Other wise the site looks nice, the design and pictures are good and look professional. The navigation is very good and easy to find what you are looking for.
    Thank you for your feedback; you've raised some good points.

To begin with, here in the UK a PO Box address isn't frowned on as much as it is in the US. Those interested are easily able to trace the original address simple by calling Royal Mail.

As for the products, I mentioned in my first post that I am still in the process of buying the last load of products to fill the site.

I'm still looking into possible phone number solutions; but have yet to find anything that would be suitable. I want the site to be taken seriously, but at the same time, have a hint of humor that only a handful of websites have these days. I should have mentioned in my original post that there are a few pages which are incomplete (the about us page being one of them - I merely grabbed abit of text from the old site to fill abit of the page).

As for the shipping cost; they are within the shopping cart page. I can't think of any better place for them to be. I totally agree that they would cause problems if positioned on the payment page. Where would you suggest I put the delivery cost?

Once again, thanks for taking the time to take a look through the site!

winter is around the corner Tomer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a eCommerce site owner myself, I can only say, bravo. Design and usuability is excellent. Everything seems to be nicely done. I disagree with Bible Topics KJV, a sense of humor on the about page is great and as you said, very rare. Keep at it. Maybe add a few lines about the real business though.

I even like the Flash area, which is the first time I see the benefit to use Flash. I'm sure your site will get a high conversion rate. Seems to be a very professional site. Good luck!

BTW, are you the designer?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomer View Post
    As a eCommerce site owner myself, I can only say, bravo. Design and usuability is excellent. Everything seems to be nicely done. I disagree with Bible Topics KJV, a sense of humor on the about page is great and as you said, very rare. Keep at it. Maybe add a few lines about the real business though.

I even like the Flash area, which is the first time I see the benefit to use Flash. I'm sure your site will get a high conversion rate. Seems to be a very professional site. Good luck!

BTW, are you the designer?
    Thanks for the kind words As I mentioned, the text within the about us page is just template text I grabbed from my older site. I'll be finishing off that particular page today.

Yeah, I am the designer. I both design and programmed the site.

SitePoint Enthusiast Bible Topics KJV's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I concede on the humor part. It was the dam word that really threw me. The write up in the about me is good. If you still want to incorporate humor, do so within the write up you have now. Stay away from any words that could even be seen as a word that a parent would tell a child not to say.

Maybe corporate stiffs had too much to say on how a professional company should appear to the public and be perceived by the public. Back in the day, a company had to present themselves that way in order to be taken seriously. Times are changing. Maybe some light hearted humor would work well.

I'm not sure how it is UK, if delivery has the same basic meaning as shipping. If delivery doesn't bring to mind the same thing as shipping costs and shipping the product, think about changing it from delivery to shipping. I think you actually want people to see the free shipping part. If you don't, you could still put it under delivery under the free shipping, or in the FAQ.

If you put the regular shipping costs under the free shipping, high regular shipping costs may make people think the free shipping is a very good deal. It actually might get people to buy that extra item. Just remember to have enough of a margin on your products to be able to cover the shipping costs for free shipping and packaging supplies, and still have a profit.

If you are going to leave it in the shopping cart, please let the buyers see the shipping cost before they have to give any credit card information. Maybe even before they have to give their regular information. One website I have been to incorporated a calculator into the shopping basket.

The basket totaled the items. Then under that, there was a space to enter in your zip code. In the US the zip code is used to determine the price of shipping from point a to point b. Then it would give the sipping cost with the final balance.

Only when you are ready, you may want to announce the free shipping on the first page.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bible Topics KJV View Post
    I concede on the humor part. It was the dam word that really threw me. The write up in the about me is good. If you still want to incorporate humor, do so within the write up you have now. Stay away from any words that could even be seen as a word that a parent would tell a child not to say.

Maybe corporate stiffs had too much to say on how a professional company should appear to the public and be perceived by the public. Back in the day, a company had to present themselves that way in order to be taken seriously. Times are changing. Maybe some light hearted humor would work well.

I'm not sure how it is UK, if delivery has the same basic meaning as shipping. If delivery doesn't bring to mind the same thing as shipping costs and shipping the product, think about changing it from delivery to shipping. I think you actually want people to see the free shipping part. If you don't, you could still put it under delivery under the free shipping, or in the FAQ.

If you put the regular shipping costs under the free shipping, high regular shipping costs may make people think the free shipping is a very good deal. It actually might get people to buy that extra item. Just remember to have enough of a margin on your products to be able to cover the shipping costs for free shipping and packaging supplies, and still have a profit.

If you are going to leave it in the shopping cart, please let the buyers see the shipping cost before they have to give any credit card information. Maybe even before they have to give their regular information. One website I have been to incorporated a calculator into the shopping basket.

The basket totaled the items. Then under that, there was a space to enter in your zip code. In the US the zip code is used to determine the price of shipping from point a to point b. Then it would give the sipping cost with the final balance.

Only when you are ready, you may want to announce the free shipping on the first page.
    I totally agree with the "dam right" part. As mentioned earlier; the text in the about us page was simply dropped in there from the older site. And since the older website was a personal blog, I didn't feel the need to be more professional.

In the UK, the word "Delivery" is used far more than "Shipping". I've also added a peice of text which appears informing the buyer that if they spend just another few more pounds, then they qualify for free deliver. This note shows when the user is close to reaching the free delivery price.

The user is able to choose their preferred method of delivery well before any kind of personal details or payment is required to be entered.

Once again, thanks for the feed back; it's greatly appreciated! If you can come up with anything else I might have missed then i'd be greatful!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have no camping gifts, remove that from the navigation.
    Regarding reviews, consider a contest with a few giveaways to get a couple of reviews posted to replace your own ssfsddsfsdg stuff.
    Hire a professional copywriter to describe your products. I can suggest Bill Hilton (BillHilton.biz) as a quality professional with remarkably affordable rates for someone with his skill.
    Having the Add to Cart button obvious and above the fold along with average review, price, and inventory status is a great idea. Consider also posting the requests for tommy guns in action in that box or perhaps better in the main body of text.

Your title tags are in order, which is unusual for many new sites. Now look at using descriptive keywords that relate to each product (like toy dart gun for the Tommy gun above). This should help you on the long tail of SEO
    Similarly, you're doing an excellent job with your header tags. Looks like someone's done their reading! (If you want help optimizing after you launch btw, I'd be very interested as toys are a niche I've been fascinated by for a while.)

Best of luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SEO Canada View Post
    If you have no camping gifts, remove that from the navigation.
    Regarding reviews, consider a contest with a few giveaways to get a couple of reviews posted to replace your own ssfsddsfsdg stuff.
    Hire a professional copywriter to describe your products. I can suggest Bill Hilton (BillHilton.biz) as a quality professional with remarkably affordable rates for someone with his skill.
    Having the Add to Cart button obvious and above the fold along with average review, price, and inventory status is a great idea. Consider also posting the requests for tommy guns in action in that box or perhaps better in the main body of text.

Your title tags are in order, which is unusual for many new sites. Now look at using descriptive keywords that relate to each product (like toy dart gun for the Tommy gun above). This should help you on the long tail of SEO
    Similarly, you're doing an excellent job with your header tags. Looks like someone's done their reading! (If you want help optimizing after you launch btw, I'd be very interested as toys are a niche I've been fascinated by for a while.)

Best of luck!
    Cheers for the help

As i've mentioned, im still in the process of buying products, so the camping gifts/gadgets will have products in once it goes live.

Good call on the reviews; i've programmed a voucher system so I might offer a 50% off voucher for the months best review. I feel I may need abit of traffic first before this could work.

Thank you for the long tail keyword tip, i'll make sure I start mentioning more long tail words in the copy etc.

I've bookmarked your site once it's live ill give it abit of time to see what my basic conversion rate is etc, then I might get in contact with you

cheers once again!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a pretty small suggestion but one none the less.

When I go to an online store, I first want to know, do they sell what I want? How can I pay, is it a trustworthy gateway, and how much is postage.

I would provide freight charges up front if possible, and probably less important bring the payment options up to a more visible place.

Hope that helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some stuff

Hello, the site looks really great.

• Use some alt and title tags in your images... I checked a few and some use alt but the description is empty.
    Besides that I think it is great from the programming / functionality. The forms validate ok, the navigation is clear, you use different titles on each page.

Nice work
    Quasar - Web Development - Free Avatars

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that your website is wonderful! This website is a eCommerce site, the most important thing is advertisement, and make many and many different people visit your website, you know many programmers have the same ideas, so you should let your customer give better suggestion!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mycwcgr View Post
    I think that your website is wonderful! This website is a eCommerce site, the most important thing is advertisement, and make many and many different people visit your website, you know many programmers have the same ideas, so you should let your customer give better suggestion!
    That's very true. I'm going to create a suggestion box, and give anyone with a good suggestion that we use, a 25% off voucher.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really love this site design.

It is one of those modern, funky designs that instantly draws your attention to it as the style fits in with the actual content.

When a site is designed well it would make me trust it when I came to order as long as it used something like Worldpay or if it had it's own payment system I would be a bit weary and would have to have a look at the SSL.

I would love to know how you got that design from OsCommerce. After using that software a lot I have found it hard to customise but that looks great

The idea about the 25% off for a good idea is a great one, it will encourage people to help you, then you will help then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nickharper View Post
    I really love this site design.

It is one of those modern, funky designs that instantly draws your attention to it as the style fits in with the actual content.

When a site is designed well it would make me trust it when I came to order as long as it used something like Worldpay or if it had it's own payment system I would be a bit weary and would have to have a look at the SSL.

I would love to know how you got that design from OsCommerce. After using that software a lot I have found it hard to customise but that looks great

The idea about the 25% off for a good idea is a great one, it will encourage people to help you, then you will help then.
    Thanks for the great feedback im glad you like the design, it's very encouraging

The site isn't using osCommerce; it's using a custom built cms I helped develope at my current work place.