User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beware of ultraboard:

It is insecure. Username and passwords are passed in the URLs.

Richard

------------------
    richard@brevig.com

This signature was supposed to be lame. Did I succeed?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whats irritating is, my host service (freenetname) does not have a cgi-bin, and also does not support PHP, i think it does support perl though, so where would that leave someone like me, who wanted a customizable message board hosted on my site??

Just thought i'd add a little extra thing to spice up this conversation

Hell.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure there are some good message boards out there that do not use cgi, perl, etc. but personally I've found that the best ones DO use cgi.

I was in the same boat as you and wound up changing hosts. If you want to do interactive things with your site, having cgi bin access is important.

Just my 2 cents :-)

------------------
    OOOPS! All the Dumb Things Affiliates Do!
    AffiliateBlunders

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by richjb:
    Beware of ultraboard:

It is insecure. Username and passwords are passed in the URLs.

Richard

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Passwords are not stored in the URL as far as I know. Usernames are, but that is not a problem.

Are you sure that passwords are stored in the URL?

------------------
    Aidan Bahta
    abahta@flashmail.com

ActiveWM.com - The place for the Active Webmaster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't have a CGI-BIN (and therefore, are unlikely to have PHP access), try a remotely hosted board. I think http://www.cgi4me.com can supply it.

Also, a few friends of mine run http://www.freewebsitetools.com - which will also remotely host a Perl-based forum for you...only takes a few minutes to sign-up.

------------------
    Chris Bowyer - Programmer in Training
    MyCoding.com: Join our mailing list for launch notification!
    "I'm not an insomniac, I'm a web designer."

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only problem is, they all put banners/logos etc on your site if they are remotely hosted, whereas, if you get an UBB or VBulliten etc on your own site, then there are relatively little logos/banners, take this Forum for example, the only indication that this is not a full on Forum which they have created themselves is the little 2 line MSG at the bottom.

Oh well, I guess you have to make the odd sacrifice

Hell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vbulletin rules... i purchased and installed it 15 days ago at http://www.animeboards.net/forums/ and it is excellent better than UBB

vbulletin cost US$169

Lord of the Underworld
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree- Vbulletin is top quality software

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by HellFire:
    The only problem is, they all put banners/logos etc on your site if they are remotely hosted<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's the catch It's worth it for many people...the one on http://www.freewebsitetools.com, for example, looks like an ad that you might just stick on the forum by yourself anyway...

In exchange for the banner, you get a remotely hosted forum and a 5-minute setup. No doubt of course that UBB and vBulletin are superior, however.

------------------

Lord of the Underworld
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly. That one TWT seems like the best alternative but basically, if your serious, fork out the dough

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what is wrong with the bb in front page. it is free and all you need is fp extensions???
    just thought i would add my 2 cents.

peace
    wwonka

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by adam:
    I'm looking for a relatively cheap, maybe even free bb but can't seem to find any other than the matts script archive one, which I find disorganised and hard to follow. Is there anywhere where I could get an advertisre free, cut'n'paste type BB?

Adam
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
    www.primecolorphoto.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup...a serious community needs to spring for something like BoardPower, UBB or vBulletin...no doubt about that. I never take a community seriously unless it runs one of these, or something similar to it. I always take notice of a site running a high-profile script, though.

------------------

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only problem with UBB is that it's hard to set up, whereas vBulliten in my opinion is far superior in almost every way, no banners, no logos, much faster as it is written in PHP as opposed to CGI, the only disadvantage is that you need a host which supports PHP, and for me, thats no prob, the PHP3 version is even better!!

I dont think you will find many Forums that aren't made by a big company like EZBoard, UBB or vBulliten, things just dont go that way, the best way to get a "moderate" board, which looks like you've genuinely (if thats how you spell it ) created a Forum from scratch, is (well from what i've seen anyway!!) to goto a site like matts resources, who knows, maybe the wonders of ColdFusion may save us all hehe...i've seen one written in Java before, it was the slowest piece of $%& in the world, but it looked pretty impressive once it loaded, also, FLASH 4 is starting to properly hit the main stream, I was on http://www.flashzone.com and supposidly there is a Forum available to download there in.swf format, however your in for a lot of banners until you get that good, or you can find the .fla of it hehe.

Anyone got any other ideas of how to get that "FREE" Forum?

Hell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by HellFire:
    much faster as it is written in PHP as opposed to CGI<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually it's written in Perl...I think CGI is the method it uses to interact with the browser (Wayne: correct me if I'm wrong! ), so similar CGI scripts would be written with, for example, Cold Fusion.

You're right though, I've heard vBulletin is much easier to setup. I'll be purchasing an Owned License myself at some point...it'll be nice to have it available for whatever project I'm working on.

------------------

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn you

Know it all's thanks for correcting me though, i didn't know that!

What do you think about the FLASH 4 front of things for creating Forums in the future?? I think it has a promising future, because not only is it much easier to code (as it's a GUI), it is also generally faster on a whole, as images take up less space, as does text, and tables etc.

Hell.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OI!!

I'm right, vBulliten is written in PHP hehe

Hell.

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can then just export the messages from UBB onto vBulletin. I've never done it and I don't even have it, but it seems easy to do

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Think of UltraBoard as UBB's younger, more obnoxious little brother. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hey that's a good one

I would say "obnoxious, very immature, little brother".

Both verions of UB (as well as the readily available hacked versions) are so full of bugs and typos, they should not be considered for use on any site that values a professional appearance. I am really shocked that it constinues to exist. I installed it on a site almost a year ago, but don't want to switch because I don't to put the users through a change.

I just installed UBB elsewhere. Have not used it yet. But set-up was very easy in my opinion, and setting the preferences was a piece of cake. Pricey though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just installed vBulletin on a site I'm developing...and I am VERY impressed!

Setting up the basic functionality of it took all of 10 minutes...this includes reading the readme, configuring a few variables, uploading, and running the installation tool packaged with it. I did, however, spend several hours littered throughout the day trying to highly customize my board...however there's no way around that, and you start to get used to it after awhile...besides, it's a good thing to practice at.

I also got many of my questions answered by the posts at vBulletin.com very quickly...and some of the hacks available (like Private Messenging...like an email inbox right on the forums!) are truly amazing. The Private Messenging hack will likely be incorporated into a new release, even though it was written by a simple forum visitor (actually, many had a hand in it).

Be afraid InfoPop...be VERY afraid...

------------------
    DomainMailings.com: Who says all the good names are taken?

[This message has been edited by TWTCommish (edited July 15, 2000).]

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a newbie to all this forum stuff so forgive me if I ask a dumb question.

I am a forum moderator for a popular alumni site which is hosted on delphi forums (one of my forums is http://www.delphi.com/cm-48/start). The forums are free with adds or co-branded for a fee. I like the layout because each post is seperate and visitors can post to specific visitors.

My question is: I am also trying to develop a website of my own called familygap.com and I want to add forums. I noticed that none of you have talked about delphi forums. Is there a reason? I'd like to know if delphi is the right choice. (FYI: I am using FP 2000 to create my website).

SitePoint Enthusiast Cold Steel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to use UBB.

Got tired of the all too many MB and server resources it took up. Plus the rehacking I'd have to do each and everytime I upgraded.

I've switched to vBulletin a couple months ago. I love it, my users love it.

Only caveat... I had to upgrade the RAM on my dedicated. The MySQL was eating it all up.

But definitely worth it.

------------------
    asiansINC
    Freedom to speak (the forum).
    Freedom to innovate (25 MB FREE, no ads).
    Freedom defined (lots more free).

Get paid hundreds a month for being online.

SitePoint Enthusiast Cold Steel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for the Delphi forums... I visit a forum or two there. It loads too slow, and I find the frame interface a little awkward.

Also too many banners!

------------------
    asiansINC
    Freedom to speak (the forum).
    Freedom to innovate (25 MB FREE, no ads).
    Freedom defined (lots more free).

Get paid hundreds a month for being online.

Lord of the Underworld
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know About.com uses Delphi, and frankly, every time I've been there, I have been dissuaded from using the forums, despite their large number of posts, because the Delphi interface is large, clunky, and well, Ugly.

------------------
    Adam Laitt
    adam@AdsSuite.com
    <A HREF="http://"http://www.AdsSuite.com"" TARGET=_blank>AdsSuite.com</A>-Your one stop Advertising resource- sign up for launch notification NOW!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a major supporter of BoardPower, I have been using it for several months, and yes, at times the creator is a little short with people, but all in his business practices seem very professional. I am one of the lead hackers on the team and have also set up a sight for BoardPower hacking www.bphackers.com

I have nothing but positive things to say about this board, and with a free SQL version on the way, I will only have postive things to say. I really like this board, and no, I am not the creator. Yes, there are some small bugs, but with BoardPower (unlike ubb) when a bug is found, a new version with the fix is released within 2 or 3 weeks max. Also, the developer isnt afraid to poke his head in there and help where he can, plus it has its dedicated hacking team to the rescue. So, I would seriously recommend checking out BoardPower. And soon, i think that it might even overtake vbulleting as the leader, and it will always remain free.

DISCLAIMER: NO, I dont work for BoardPower or am in any way related other than I am a vey active user of it and I think it is an awesome bulletin board.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    W-agora is free, very easy to install, and very customizable:
    http://w-agora.araxe.fr/

A good looking one in development is Xforum at:
    http://x-forum.sourceforge.net/features.html

My favorite of the new ones is phpBB at:
    http://forum.totalgeek.org/

The fellow developing phpBB is moving however, so his server may not be up for a couple more days. He also has space on SourceForge but I forget what the URL is to get there. It's in prerelease stages right now but you can get the source code.

------------------
    "Whatever can be said can be said clearly." -- Ludwig Wittgenstein