SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Designing for Various Display Resolutions

I found a problem with my website, HumorAsylum.com, on submitting it for review here at sitepointforums. The problem is that it is too big for display at 800 x 600 (you have to scroll left to right).

What do I need to do to correct this? I designed the site in Dreamweaver 4.0, using 1024 x 768 resolution (and obviously didn't test it at other resolutions). I suppose I need a basic lesson on designing for different display resolutions.

Thanks much!
    Jay

Whistler BC originally from Guelph Ontario
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have used absolute widths in your tables. This means your table can't expand and contract with the width of the screen. Your best bet is to make one of the columns (normally the one with articles and other such movable information) a percentage as well as the table width itself.

Let me warn you though it may really mess up how things look and may take some time to correct to your satisfaction.

As for learning the key points of stretchy tables I found one article that may help explain in detail what I just tried to

http://www.angelfire.com/fl5/html-tu.../tablesize.htm
    Maelstrom Personal - Apparition Visions
    Development - PhP || Mysql || Zend || Devshed
    Unix - FreeBSD || FreeBsdForums || Man Pages
    They made me a sitepoint Mentor - Feel free to PM me or Email me and I will see if I can help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, indeed, strechy tables are your answer. You may need to fix some of them to an exact pixel size if they contain images, and then leave the rest to 'strech' to accomodate the rest of the screen area. Dreamweaver makes table construction fairly easy, so you shouldn't have too much of a problem. I often find it's easier to delve into the script view to tweek things like this.
    Jonnya Freelance Creative
    UK Freelance designer and web developer
    Website | Portfolio | Photoshop Tips