SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

www.zmemusic.com

Please review my music blog http://www.zmemusic.com. It covers news, articles and album reviews from the world of music, mostly alternative and indie rock. Looking for design, content, monetization critiques. Any kind of constructive critique is welcomed. Thanks in advance.
    ZMEmusic.com - music news and reviews
    ZMEtravel.com - travel and leisure blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dont like your font in footer, too much big...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice design and colour scheme.
    Spoiltchild Design Consultancy - Design | Web | Motion
    Rudeball - Spot the Ball game engine for your site.
    Wedding Tickers Counting down to your wedding..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Sharkyx

I like the choice of colours in your design with the varying shades of blue.

For me a few things could be improved to enhance usability and get more users interested in the site.

Firstly the overall feel
    The right column (with welcome/reviews etc) is too wide, for a blog the content is key and therefore needs to be more prominent, enlarger header fonts and maybe give them a more impactive colour!

The Layout
    The layout is not letting people see what they want/expect straight away, 'Categories' is too far down and sort of lost within the adverts a subtle off-white colour as background may help, also what i tend to do is stylize (or lack of styling) the adverts so other content is more obvious

Also there is an inconsistency with your font sizes/styles some headers are black and bold while others are red and regular. Being consistent throughout will enable users to identify sections in a cohesive way, making the site more usable

Like the footer, and the imagery used in the article sections and feel this site has good potential, it doesnt strain the eyes to read and pretty much all text is clearly defined (just need to look at placement).

90% of the blogs out there are by far worse than yours so take credit from that. Hope i am not being too harsh and just so you can return the favour i will post one of my designs on here today/tomorrow.

More importantly though, hope this helps

LT
    Taylor

Portfolio at Coroflot

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by t47lor View Post
    Hi Sharkyx

I like the choice of colours in your design with the varying shades of blue.

For me a few things could be improved to enhance usability and get more users interested in the site.

Firstly the overall feel
    The right column (with welcome/reviews etc) is too wide, for a blog the content is key and therefore needs to be more prominent, enlarger header fonts and maybe give them a more impactive colour!

The Layout
    The layout is not letting people see what they want/expect straight away, 'Categories' is too far down and sort of lost within the adverts a subtle off-white colour as background may help, also what i tend to do is stylize (or lack of styling) the adverts so other content is more obvious

Also there is an inconsistency with your font sizes/styles some headers are black and bold while others are red and regular. Being consistent throughout will enable users to identify sections in a cohesive way, making the site more usable

Like the footer, and the imagery used in the article sections and feel this site has good potential, it doesnt strain the eyes to read and pretty much all text is clearly defined (just need to look at placement).

90% of the blogs out there are by far worse than yours so take credit from that. Hope i am not being too harsh and just so you can return the favour i will post one of my designs on here today/tomorrow.

More importantly though, hope this helps

LT
    Thanks for the tips, I'll be sure to look into them. Tomorrow or the day after that i'll do same serious CSS redesigning. When I get enough money i'll try a urgent header redesign as well. Does anyone know how much a header would cost ? with logo, buttons etc ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Sharkeyx

Take the header and the logo as two separate things. Take a look at the sitepoint contests to get an idea of the pricing for headers and logo's

hope this helps
    Regards
    LT
    Taylor

Portfolio at Coroflot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i can't get the blue in the background and the blue in the header to work together. it just doesnt seem right.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re:www.zmemusic.com

It was kinda, messy. Your navbar I thought was terrible, the colors are killing me, it took a long too load the color when I hovered over the navigation. This is just my personal opinion, but I would stay away from the box with the scroll bar in it, I hate when sites do that. . But still incorporating the services of any web design company might be more useful ( personal experience). But still its a good start, keep up the good work.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    would something like 100$ bring me a attractive header redesign with buttons, graphic and logo ?just a thought