SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please review my ebook web site

This is a simple, one-page web site, with no Flash or other bells and whistles. Its SOLE purpose is to bring the viewer to purchasing the ebook, so the design is pretty linear, top-to-bottom.

It's currently up and running commercially, although sales have been very slow. I'm trying to pick them up by lowering the price from $25.95 to $12.95.

I guess I'm looking more for a critique of how well it does what it's supposed to do: grab the viewer, pull him down through the page, and ultimately producing the desired result: clicking on the "Get It Now" button.

The URL is: http://www.foreignbridesbook.com

Thanks a heap,
    Osmigo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Osmigo

Firstly get some bells and whistles on it - you will be able to keep the ebook at the same price.

The black background is too strong, i always go for subtlye transitions in colour by either lowing/highering the hue/saturation across all colours used. This normally helps towards a more respectable look and will increase the chances of the user staying on the website.

Time needs to be spent researching web design as there is no logo (corperate identity reflects professionalism) also a menu, even if it is just anchor tags, is needed. Text needs to short snappy and to the point.

People, especially on the internet cannot be bothered to read paragraph after paragraph of text to then finally get to a button that says get it now. Adopt the same style used by magazines/newspapers enticing header, more descriptive sub header, summary paragraph (bold) and then short fire paragraphs explaining your product.

By doing these you will deffinately be on the right track to increasing sales,

Hope this is helpful
    LT
    Taylor

Portfolio at Coroflot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Taylor, especially about keeping the copy (the text) short and punchy. People on the internet generally have the attention span of a rose bush. All the pretty, scantily clad women you plaster on the page won't help that. What's interesting is that in connection with Googling for information about marriage to a foreign national, I actually read your web page some months back!

In any event, I think it should be kept white or light gray (#eee). Also, make sure that any button or link that the user is to click to order the book is in the top THIRD of the page. As Taylor wisely observed, DO NOT make them scroll down to click on any button to purchase your book. And you also DO NOT need to lower the price of your e-book. Even at the price you have set, it is still somewhat below the prices of some other e-books out there with similar content.

Take a look at this web site.
    http://catchhimandkeephim.com/

It also sells an e-book. Note the clean design, easy on the eyes, the lack of visual imagery .. they want you to read and then buy. They are selling information. Also note how SHORT the page is.

I don't think you have to lose all of your copy, just tighten it a bit. You should keep some of the images, but to me, that makes your e-book appear "gimmicky," and not something to be taken seriously. I think less graphics would help the book's credibility and therefore enhance sales.

Good luck with the project.
    Visit our web design site at http://www.pixelita.com
    Visit Serbia's biggest and best internet forum at
    http://www.burek.co.yu

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is excellent advice, all of it. I will have it all beside me as I redo the page. Thanks very, very much.

Osmigo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking the same thing as I was viewing your website. I got lost in the text it needs to be formatted properly.

find some of the most popular websites that are selling ebooks and copy how they design their page.

No need to reinvent the wheel!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will say, first off, that it did not grab my attention, but that might be because I am not interested in a foreign wife...?

Anyways, I think the site is ok. The title in blue on top needs to change either color, or make a nice image. And maybe change the black bgcolor to something else. I guess just keep experimenting.

Other then that, I think your problem is not the design but your marketing.

I used to sell an ebook too. After while of slow sales, I realized it might be more economical to provide the info for free and sell adspace. Since doing that I am making much more money through adsense then I was selling the ebook. Just a thought.

Good luck

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmigo View Post
    This is a simple, one-page web site, with no Flash or other bells and whistles. Its SOLE purpose is to bring the viewer to purchasing the ebook, so the design is pretty linear, top-to-bottom.

It's currently up and running commercially, although sales have been very slow. I'm trying to pick them up by lowering the price from $25.95 to $12.95.

I guess I'm looking more for a critique of how well it does what it's supposed to do: grab the viewer, pull him down through the page, and ultimately producing the desired result: clicking on the "Get It Now" button.

The URL is: http://www.foreignbridesbook.com

Thanks a heap,
    Osmigo
    Your website is a romantic place.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Aida

I completely agree with preceding speakers

1. The page should be treated like an ad - short, snappy and to the point
    In advertising/marketing circles this is known as the AIDA rule = Attention, Information, Desire, Action and you have at best 30sec to accomplish this
    2. The lengthy text is so deterrent
    In cases such as this it is better to focus on the EFFECTS of the purchase ("what it will do for you") rather than the content
    3. You may provide a link to a free chapter and table of content
    4. in size keep it to one screen (no scroll) and/or place duplicate highly visible [Get It] buttons at the top and bottom

Hope that helps and Way to Go!
    Them that have, get.
    Murphy's Law of Random Distribution

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes agreed.
    the page needs way more spice! lots more white space....less is always more.

your page as mentioned above is far too long. your eye gets lost and distracted.
    on the plus side the pictures are great! ; )

good luck with the updates.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also agree. Your page is too long. I would consider attempting an advertising angle which will keep your visitors glued and wanting to click the links.

Designer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with everyone AND

get a modern design in! Atm, it looks like an online scam! Not good for business IMO.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still working on the site. I'm making more white space, and fewer pictures, and using a white background and regular (non-bold) font. Just trying to make it neater and more professional - looking.

Hard to say about the length, although I am shortening it a bit. Most sites I've seen selling ebooks have been HUGE, scrolling down screenful after screenful. I'm going to try to keep this to two pages this time.

Thanks,
    Osmigo
    http://www.foreignbridesbook.com

p.s. the idea of converting it to a site selling advertising is an interesting one. I may end up going there.