Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please review my Website - fix-it.org

I am in the process of redoing my website - http://www.fix-it.org

I know the titles say get-fixed.com because when I finally move it over, that is what it will move over as. As far as design and layout, let me know what you think. I am not trying to accommodate dial-up users, so as long as the loading times are reasonable, im not worried on that end.

I'm looking for reviews on the usability, layout, and colors. If you dislike blue, you'll hate my site - sorry.

Thanks so much!
    Chad
    http://www.ifshtf.com
    From Apocalypse to Zombies, we've got you covered.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    Here's my 2 cents:
    1. Header title - you need that fixed as you said.
    2. Site loads heavily - try to reduce image quality and size.
    3. The fonts on the right side on top ("Hardware help", "software help") are way too small.
    4. Make the top logo a link to the home page - that's almost standard these days.
    5. Forum colors - ensure they match the overall blue color of the site.

All and all - looks good!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm too much blue colors... not good for my eyes... change your background...
    design in content is bad, try with design 2 lines...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like your site. I would change the background of the blue to light blue to make it easier on the eyes of your visitors. I think your site is good and the domain name is good too. Looks good the glossary provides a lot of information. The only thing I would change is the dark blue background.
    Have a good day.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what color light blue would be better for the background? I've tried various - the blue i went with seemed to fit the best. I'm open to others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try #5eacf8.
    Have a good day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find it very cold because of all the blue and gray. Not inviting at all. You need to add a touch of a softer warmer colour.
    Also it was not clear at first what the site was for. Add a simple tag line under the logo so visitors know.
    Spoiltchild Design Consultancy - Design | Web | Motion
    Rudeball - Spot the Ball game engine for your site.
    Wedding Tickers Counting down to your wedding..

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I changed up the header a bit, but the purpose of the site is pretty clear right on the front page, so that shouldnt be a major issue.

As for adding warmer colors - the users didn't care for it so i pulled warmer tones a while ago. I also had it entirely done in web2.0 originally - they hated that too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chosos View Post
    ...the purpose of the site is pretty clear right on the front page, so that shouldnt be a major issue.
    What about when a user finds their way from a search engine and bypasses the front page?

As for adding warmer colors - the users didn't care for it so i pulled warmer tones a while ago. I also had it entirely done in web2.0 originally - they hated that too.
    I like blue, i just find too much of it cold and uninviting. I suggest just spots of it. The odd article heading etc. You wont need much to warm it up.
    Spoiltchild Design Consultancy - Design | Web | Motion
    Rudeball - Spot the Ball game engine for your site.
    Wedding Tickers Counting down to your wedding..

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what colors would you suggest for warming it up, and where?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's my review and critique:
    1. My largest concern with this site is your branding. I'm not sure if I am looking at a site that fixes computers, is a community that has banded together as a self-help group, or you are selling hardware.
    2. Blue is a great color to use on a web site, but overkill negates the confidence that blue encourages. If you love the color blue, find a color that compliments it, supports it, and powers up this design. A color wheel would help you out.
    3. If you are going to use stylized illustrations, then it should be consistent throughout. For example, using a photo image and then just outlining it in black, is not an illustration. Perhaps you could use the photos as base layer and then trace over it to create some vector graphics. Then you would have the freedom to color the different illustrations -- promoting a style. If you are not handy or skilled at this, try looking for some nice clip art packages.
    4. The 'target' or bullseye graphic does not help the overall design.
    5. The advertisements at the top of the page distracts from the goal of this web site (I am assuming you are trying to develop a technical orientated community). If your goal is to use this site as a platform to sell products, then you need to emphasize your store, not the community.
    6. The site appears to be a vBulletin forum, with a front page slapped on in front of it. It looks like you have customized the vBulletin default css with color. But the steel gray and does not match up with your horizontal links (Forums, Reviews, Glossary, Site Help) so when I look at it, I get the feeling everything is disconnected from each other.
    7. Just a suggestion, but if the glossary (as you describe in the 'About Us' page)is the main key element that attracts folks to your site, why not promote that on the front page?
    Good luck on your redesign!
    Jwolfe

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. My largest concern with this site is your branding. I'm not sure if I am looking at a site that fixes computers, is a community that has banded together as a self-help group, or you are selling hardware.
    How exactly would you institute branding in a header? Most branding is built from familiarity. For example - if you had never known, what is a yahoo, or an ebay?

2. Blue is a great color to use on a web site, but overkill negates the confidence that blue encourages. If you love the color blue, find a color that compliments it, supports it, and powers up this design. A color wheel would help you out.
    color wheel says orange. i already tried that in the past - had bad reviews on it. other suggestions for a 2ndary color?

3. If you are going to use stylized illustrations, then it should be consistent throughout. For example, using a photo image and then just outlining it in black, is not an illustration. Perhaps you could use the photos as base layer and then trace over it to create some vector graphics. Then you would have the freedom to color the different illustrations -- promoting a style. If you are not handy or skilled at this, try looking for some nice clip art packages.
    which images are you talking about? I've mixed photo with vector, and in some cases utilize both. This is intended. It is supposed to translate to a user coming in not understanding hardware as a whole (outlines / shades of gray), and then being able to see the whole picture (photo representations).

4. The 'target' or bullseye graphic does not help the overall design.
    Also as intended. Its meant to target users to the text area. I'm open to other ideas. It also helps break the page up.

5. The advertisements at the top of the page distracts from the goal of this web site (I am assuming you are trying to develop a technical orientated community). If your goal is to use this site as a platform to sell products, then you need to emphasize your store, not the community.
    Short of pulling the ads that generate revenue, what would you suggest? I've tried to target the ads and for the most part they are. I'm open to ideas.

6. The site appears to be a vBulletin forum, with a front page slapped on in front of it. It looks like you have customized the vBulletin default css with color. But the steel gray and does not match up with your horizontal links (Forums, Reviews, Glossary, Site Help) so when I look at it, I get the feeling everything is disconnected from each other.
    I don't follow - examples please? What do you mean that the steel gray does not match up?

7. Just a suggestion, but if the glossary (as you describe in the 'About Us' page)is the main key element that attracts folks to your site, why not promote that on the front page?
    Great idea!! - I will include this.

SitePoint Enthusiast solidmedia's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a techy site, the font choice doesn't look very technical. The 'Join', 'read' and 'help' font is a bit too thick and makes it hard to skim read over.

The horizontal grey line breaks up the page enough without the need for the bullseye. But if you insist on having the bullseye there, try make it a bit more subtle - to subliminally draw peoples attention to that area.
    SOLID Media Solutions
    http://www.solidmedia.net.au

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    okay i changed it up a bit. any better?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very functional. Although you said your site did not target dial-up users, it would be nice to have a faster load time. It would be easy to fix that by condensing css and html, getting rid of redundant html that can be added as css, gif-optimizer to reduce size without altering quality, etc.

Also, I would go with a different main font. I might also be a little bit too big too, but experiment with that. Looks good though.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I checked out your site and its looks really good, the only thing that caught my eye was the lightness of the text color, it made it slightly hard to read, not that big of deal to me but might be for others. But still incorporating the services of any web design company might be more useful ( personal experience). Sill great Job on the site I am going to give it my highest ranking

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing that threw me off a bit was the large icons towards the top, that don't link to anything, but they had small "read more" at the bottom of the container.

If you are going to waste that much space on them, I would at least make them links. They did a good job of catching my attention to the article but it took me a moment to understand where the actual link was.

It's obvious that you are trying to pull people into the content and you don't have a lot to say on the front page. In my opinion that's fine, but I would remove the "Lack of front page content" comment. Possibly throw it on your FAQ, if people are really commenting on it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The navigation left side "join - read - help"
    and the right side "tutorials - reviews"
    you may want to change the boxes to smaller ones
    also I expected the tutorials to be "how to do things - such as the how to change web hosts (which you have)
    could include how to change memory - how to change hard drives
    how to divide hard drives into multiple virtual drives (advantages and disadvantages)
    hope this helps
    falcon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    • Your slogan under the logo needs to be increased in font-size big time, and then aligned correctly where the "Free" starts where the "Get-" starts.
    • You have 3 vertical buttons and then 3 horizontal columns in your middle content section. It creates for way too much clutter in the way you represent them. I would remove the "Join / Read / Help" all together (perhaps position them below), and then focus more on the 3 middle columns. Give them big titles as well.
    Design like a pro. - Full design videos, real projects.
    Pro logo design (8 yrs. experience, check em' out).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gonna be honest here -

Firstly...WAY to many images. I know you say you aren't trying to accommodate for dial up users, but you could create a far simpler site, without all the image, and it would look better, plus it wouldn't take as long to load...

And secondly, your text looks "newbie", try using CSS to make them look differen't, using letter-spacing and stuff....

But apart from that, its pretty good, I just don't like sites which are totally imaged based, as if they were designed in photoshop, then sliced and exported to html...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im not really all that great in CSS. I am just trying to get by with what I know until I can afford to pay to have the site professionally created. If it were professional, I wouldn't be asking for peer reviews.

I'm not worried about the images - I like them.

Thanks for all the feedback thus far.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im not really all that great in CSS. I am just trying to get by with what I know until I can afford to pay to have the site professionally created. If it were professional, I wouldn't be asking for peer reviews.

I'm not worried about the images - I like them.

Thanks for all the feedback thus far.
    Look on the internet for CSS tutorials - some are very good, also look up the item you are having trouble with (such as tables to css or css image etc) that may help. If you ask specific questions on the forums (such as how do I get the image not to repeat, they will usually answer)
    Don't try a professional yet, try first and you may find your answer, then when you really need one, get one
    I also am in the process of changing my site (but from HTML tables to CSS) and am a beginner at CSS so I suffer the same ills as you do in some ways.
    hope this helps
    falcon

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im not really even worried about it. I just need it functional until I can afford to have it redone professionally. Its not that I cant learn CSS - I simply don't have enough time, and it isnt worth it for me to try and keep up on it when what I have now works.

I mean we're talking about optimizations that will shave off what - 1-2 seconds?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While it's quite intricate, I feel like it's a bit too busy.

A bit too much effort to showcase computer skills imo. If it was me, I'd be more impressed with simpler navigation and cleaner lines overall.

I wouldn't think you need to look into getting it done professionally, you've definitely got the skills to do it.

Do you need the advert? It won't be bringing home the cheques, so I'd ditch it in favour of content and promotion of the business.

Good luck.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like it....

I've bookmarked it so I can come take part in the discussions when I get a free chance. I know you have probably made the before mentioned suggested changes already but I like the look and feel of it. It does load a little heavy but I'm willing to put up with that for some sites I like the fact that while it's layed out like similar sites it looks completely different. So it doesn't feel to me like I'm on a site just like every other one