SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Acceptable Pre-loader size on Flash sites... what would you wait for?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • 25-50k

2 20.00%
  • 50-100k

4 40.00%
  • 100-200k

4 40.00%
  • 200-300k

0 0%
  • 300-400k

0 0%
  • 400-500k

0 0%
  • 500k and above (there are some of these out there!!)

0 0%
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Acceptable pre loader times...opinions please!

I am a great advocate of Flash animation/sites on the net, and love to see the tool used well. I think it can add a great deal to the visitors experience when used effectivley.

However, I am seeing more and more sites with very large pre-loaders... it's all very well and good if you are on a broadband connection, but for us little guys on 56k dial-ups it's a bit of a pest having to wait ages for a pre-loader (although I don't mind if I think the site is going to be worth it!). However, I think that this is what puts of a-lot of people...a real potential downer to visits to a website.

If a site is designed well, by loading content on layers when and if required, I don't see why pre-loaders have to be so big (my whole level0 interface is only 42k...quite acceptable!). Frankly I see it as plain lazy on the part of the designer to just budle the whole site into one movie, and expect a vistor to wait for the whole site to load if they only require, say a third of it.

I thought it would be interesting to see what people consider to be an acceptable size of pre-loader. I will poll by size to take into consideration broadband users (hummph, one day my area will have digital cable... just about everywhere else has around here!!).
    Jonnya Freelance Creative
    UK Freelance designer and web developer
    Website | Portfolio | Photoshop Tips

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, having to wait more then a couple of seconds is bad. Whether that is on 56K or on my T1 at work.
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    depends on what you get for the wait...no one wants to wait for crap...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good call jonny - any Flash sites over 200k for the initial file is down to sloppy designing.

One cause is using bitmaps as its far easier to import rasters than re-create them in Freehand, Illustrator or Flash using vectors.

I've just stumbled on a great example of how manually re-creating (ie. not using trace bitmap) images can dramatically drop file sizes:

http://juniatwork.mrtio.com/

here's another good example of vectors over bitmaps:

http://www.vectorkid.com/main.html
    Last edited by Chas; Feb 19, 2002 at 20:04.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW! that Juniatwork's vector work is second-to-non, she's a talent, thanks for sharing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed, that Juniatwork's site has got some of the best vector illustration work I have ever seen...simply stunning However, we are talking pre-loaders here guys (and hers was about 140, which at the moment fits into the acceptable bracket!).
    Jonnya Freelance Creative
    UK Freelance designer and web developer
    Website | Portfolio | Photoshop Tips

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    personally, i don't think it should take any longer than normal html pages. btw, there talkkng about that standard being under 10 seconds now. that will be real hard to get with flash - i would say 20 seconds would be good on dialup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by bbolte
    i would say 20 seconds would be good on dialup.
    There was a big debate going on about this over at the site design issues forum on SPF. The general view was that most people on dial-up's wont stick around for a 1/4 of that.

Most of the site stats on large Flash only sites i've seen bear this out - keep people waiting any more than 5 sec and they tend to scarper.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    5 seconds, that makes sense. i voted for the first option. but i was trying to be a little optimistic with the 20 second thing. there aren't too many sites that can do a preload in 5 seconds...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I voted for the 50 - 100k 'cos if it is more than that then the designer should really be splitting the content across movies if possible.