SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up New Church Supply Site - Thanks for the help and comments

Thanks to everyone who helped me work out the quirks in our new site. Comments on the hopefully finished look would be appreciated.

Catholic Church Supply.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would of thought churches would control all thier purchases. I wouldnt think they would use a website. Well i guess everyone is coming into the new age. I love your logo very classy. Couple of things.
    1. Dont like the footer. I feel a site should be easily divided into areas as it looks neater, easier to distinguish, and easier to use. I suggest some sort of break between content and footer.
    2. Also not a huge fan of you horizontal navigational bar. Not sure why. may be the text. See if you can make it bolder maybe. not much help there just my opinion.

I like your vertical nav bar however.
    Nice work overall

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like the font used in "pray. dieu", it's too distorted. Also, I would change the color of the links, so you don't just use the default one; it doesn't fit in with the rest of your design. On the bright side, your menus looks great!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Umm... please don't get upset...

From a purely visual standpoint (viewed on Firefox2 mac) I think:

1. there is something wrong in the use of white-space and element distribution/proportions (menus, images, copy) giving the page a bit of a choppy feel which is further amplified by the rather inconsistent look of other elements and typography - looks like each box is from a different story;
    2. I like the left-hand vertical "browse..." sidebar though I'd align it with the horizontal menu giving it some light on the left side of the page; same with the logo, I'd move it to the right;
    3. I'd bring the horizontal menu to look more like the vertical selection sidebar;
    4. I don't feel that product images do proper justice to the (probably beautiful) products they illustrate (commercially speaking: product images don't invoke desire for purchase - Catholic as it may be the site's still a shop and contains some pretty expensive items of quality);
    5. also, being inconsistent, the product images break the natural rhythm of the presentation;
    6. the empty space at the bottom of the home page (and footer) is rather ghastly - sorry

No discouragement meant but for setting up a shop of this calibre I'd recommend getting at least a good template or maybe a professional designer.
    A beautiful site to "Beautify Your Church" might be a bit more of a successful enterprise. Then again I just may know nothing of these things...
    Hope that was helpful and Way to Go!
    Them that have, get.
    Murphy's Law of Random Distribution

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might want to check the coding. In IE I get an error.

Also, I think that if you kept all text the same font, will make it look better.

SitePoint Enthusiast Bible Topics KJV's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use firefox. The feature and article does not line up with the left navigation box at the bottom. The feature is a good half inch below the box, you might want to lengthen the box some so it evens out.

The about us, sign in, help, and my cart links get lost under the main horizontal links. You may want to move those in the left navigation bar under the rest of the links.

Instead of having four lines in the footer, try to bring up the bottom two so you only have two. It will look much better that way.

You may want to try to find some better clip art. The idea is good, but the poor image quality detracts from the site. You could just put an image of one of the kneelers you are selling in it's place.

I have to agree with dford with the font used on pray dieu. That seems to be more of a party font instead of a proper authoritative image the catholic church and priests try to maintain.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input.

"I'd bring the horizontal menu to look more like the vertical selection sidebar;" Do you mean you would use the same colors?

"I don't feel that product images do proper justice to the (probably beautiful) products they illustrate (commercially speaking: product images don't invoke desire for purchase - Catholic as it may be the site's still a shop and contains some pretty expensive items of quality);"

You wouldn't believe how difficult it is to get vendors to send decent pictures. We ask for high resolution and they send us scanned pages from their catalog. It is going to take a lot of education to get our vendors to understand that better picture quality = more sales.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some suggestions:

• Use padding inside the "Featured items" and "Articles" to separate the text from the borders. May look better.
    • Use lists in the articles to separate items, missing in this one: http://www.catholicchurchsupply.com/...e/27/index.htm
    • I'm not a big fan of default fonts so will recommend the use of verdana or arial as default font.
    Besides that the site looks good and the navigation is very clear. Easy to find stuff.
    Quasar - Web Development - Free Avatars

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overal I like but just 2 petty issues for me.

1) The "Beautify Your Church" text for the search box is straddling the search box. Either put this text above the box or on the box.

2) The footer area, add a break <br> after the Help, Privacy etc.. line. Currently it is sitting right at the very bottom of my browser.

Like I said, petty, but good work.

Peace
    Swoop
    My eBay Store Script - Build your own eBay affiliate store.
    Download FREE Demo today.
    http://www.my-eStore.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd make the search box a bit narrower and put the [Go] button on the same line, otherwise pretty nice site.
    SUPPORT FOR NEW BLOGGERS - TRY THE Blogging Forum

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bdude View Post
    I'd make the search box a bit narrower and put the [Go] button on the same line, otherwise pretty nice site.
    The go button is on the same line in my browser. What is your screen width and browser?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's two major things I'd change on this site, first of all I'm viewing it at 1024x768 on my 12" ibook and the site doesn't fit on the screen, there's about 30px falling off the right of my browser. I don't actually lose much information, it's just a bit annoying

Second of all, I think almost everything needs a bit more padding/margin. For example the picture and text in the 'featured item' block could do with being a bit further from each other. I think a slightly increased line-height would look good here too. Other things like the form and the top navigation could do with being a little more spaced too in my opinion.

Other than those two things I think your site looks good!
    www.nubornis.com
    Web Development from Nuborn Internet Services