SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Surrey Homes

http://www.new-surrey-homes.co.uk

is a property advertising site for new or refurbished homes in Surrey, England.

Its for builders or estate agents. They have to login to register first and then can input details of properties or rss feeds. All material is checked manually before it actually shows. It is then converted to rss and submitted to rss directories, as well as showing on this site and related sites.

Please check out the site design and functionality. You can register and check out the internal workings (I wont put any test data that you input live - unless you input real details of New Surrey Homes )

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didnt have time to check functionality.
    Nice idea.
    I definately recommend adding some color through some graphics. Very bland at the moent.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not immediately clear what to do. There's just that fine text for builders and estate agents. A homebuyer who wants to shop around isn't told what to do, where to click, etc.

The menu on the left is vague and nondirective. It's just a list of names. What are they? Maybe you can divide this sidebar into sections, each section in a different color, with an identifying header.

Another approach would be to have the main page more user-oriented. In other words, describe the site, then have two links: "builders/estate agents" and "home buyers/investors." You would click on the link applying to you, and that would take you to a page containing information for that topic.

It's not really clear that the "login" button is ONLY for builders/agents.

Also some minor typos. E.g., it says:
    "Surrey Homebuilders and Estate Agents - Add your property"

Why isn't "your property" capitalized, when everything else is?

Or where it says, "Home buyers and Property Investor." Why is "Buyers" plural and "Investor" singular? Only one investor out there? And "Home buyer" is one word, not two.

For the homebuyer, you ask them to check back with the site to "subscribe to the RSS feeds." There's going to be a heck of a lot of homebuyers out there that don't know what the heck an RSS feed is or what it means to "subscribe" to one. You might have a link instead, going to a page that explains it.

Hope that's helpful
    Osmigo

Designer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A bit 90's? Also, you may want to rethink your side menu, also there isn't anything memorable, if you catch my drift.

I think you need:

1) a nice logo. Try visiting http://logopond.com for some ideas.
    2) Contrast. Your colors are far too bland.
    3) Better white spacing. You could be generous with the padding really.

We're doing a site for a property developer, and at the risk of tooting our own horn, maybe you could get some ideas (http://www.rudex.ph).

P.S. It's not totally finished yet as the client wants to update his content, and so we're still waiting before we sign off the IE6 hacks and JS.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh well lets start:
    the logo, to simple, there is no gimmick or anything to attract some people.
    the frame work not so good, i prefer sites without them or with some frames.
    and the background, maybe to this site it looks a little better but if you will grow, switch it to a smooth background, much easier to read the text for disabilities and so on.
    smoother design means smarter people, don't ask me why.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good idea, but here are some things I'd change to make it a bit easier to use:
    - I personally don't like having scroll bars in a page at all. I have one for the browser, and that's enough for me.
    - Some of the links within your own site open in a new window. That isn't really necessary since the linked page has exactly the same design but just different content. (the What are RSS feeds link specifically).
    - The title could be a bit more inspiring. Times New Roman text is bland.

There have been some other good tips already provided so I'll try not to double up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont think you have an option with rss links - they naturally open a new page. Does anyone know if there's a way of stopping that behaviour?
    Scroll bars are not great but I prefer them to letting the navigation disappear off the page. You can use css to keep the navigation in an absolute position. But absolute positioning is something we should avoid too.

I'm still thinking about some of these things folks. You're pretty unanimous about the logo, the background and a couple of other points.

That can only mean one thing. If only I could remember what that thing is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to clarify I didn't mind the RSS feed itself opening in a new window, purely the link on the homepage 'What Are RSS Feeds? Click here to find out' (links to /rss.php). Seeing that open in a blank window led me to believe there would be some other links that curiously opened in a new window for no reason but it appears to be isolated to just that.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by irodgers View Post
    http://www.new-surrey-homes.co.uk

is a property advertising site for new or refurbished homes in Surrey, England.

Its for builders or estate agents. They have to login to register first and then can input details of properties or rss feeds. All material is checked manually before it actually shows. It is then converted to rss and submitted to rss directories, as well as showing on this site and related sites.

Please check out the site design and functionality. You can register and check out the internal workings (I wont put any test data that you input live - unless you input real details of New Surrey Homes )
    Your website has a simple style and I like it.
    But a word(webmaster) of the right side is out of the layout. (1024*748)
    Your website is based on HTML 4.01. I think you can re-design it with XHTML 1.1 for advanced development.

Designer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by irodgers View Post
    I dont think you have an option with rss links - they naturally open a new page. Does anyone know if there's a way of stopping that behaviour?
    Scroll bars are not great but I prefer them to letting the navigation disappear off the page. You can use css to keep the navigation in an absolute position. But absolute positioning is something we should avoid too.

I'm still thinking about some of these things folks. You're pretty unanimous about the logo, the background and a couple of other points.

That can only mean one thing. If only I could remember what that thing is.
    You don't necessarily need a constant menu. Not even ebay does that (and they have some pretty long lists). Usually, a "back to top" anchor is sufficient.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes,
    I think I'll have to resort to a "back to top" anchor. If the site has success in attracting builders the menu will expand out. It could potentially drop down with an item for every location in Surrey. That would be ridiculous, so at some point I need to have groups and sub-groups of the locations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No need for me to repeat what has already been said several times about the colors and logo. From the viewpoint of the consumer, I like the idea of your map showing where each individual home is located. This is not ordinarily done on real estate sites in the US and since I have never looked at a UK RE site, I am wondering if this is commplace in your country.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    should the main links change size?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the response. Some of the things you've found are definate mistakes. Probably my css is doing a bit too much cascading (if you know what I mean) and I'm getting a confusing inherited behaviour on links etc. The main links shouldn't change size; I'm working on that.
    I've tried to make the sitemap better too but the css isn't quite doing what I want there either.
    The google maps is quite an easy thing to do if you follow googles instructions.