User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sebulbus said
    That's a very ignorant view. Should work fine for a guy trying to build himself a guestbook, but not for a pro.

Do yourself a favor. Lookup the PHP manual and search how many times you can find phrases such as "like in C", "unlike C", etc in there. That alone is reason enough to go study C.
    Not to mention the fact that practices such as indenting, aligning, commenting, etc and notions such as performance, optimality, development patterns, etc are not covered in the PHP manual and are best picked up by studying an actual language.

Nevermind, go ahead directly, we hate competition anyway.
    And I say BULL.
    Anyone can learn and understand programming concepts if they grasp basic if else constructs, do loop, and things of this nature. Most modern languages are similar. The old lisp was hard (I used it with autocad). And most so called PROFESSIONALS today can't program their way out of a wet paper bag. Most now have college but no life experience. They know the language but not how to apply it for real life usage. It would be like teaching someone adding and substracting, and right away making them do bookkeeping/accounting. I have seen some of the work by these so called pro's. If you are going to program an inventory control program, first spend a year in a business doing supply, stocking, and inventory control. Learn how to handle everything first without software. The old way pencil and paper. Then and only then program something. This is why 99.5 percent of so called web databases don't have complex and good user interface, because the young college grads do not have any real life experience at anything. Some of the best programmers in the past were older men and women that came from the school of hard knocks, and learned programming later in life. I remember one dbase 3+ programmer who was around 50. He did work for a hospital, and actually knew how to have a good user interface. A child could get a hold of a templete and program some of the sites I see. But real business databases where you need to do a filtered lookup at two or three places on an input form, well I don't see this much. Quit fooling your customers with bull and learn real user interface.
    My experience: I learned and used dbase and basic in the Air Force for supply. After retirement I worked at a trucking company where all was done by paper/pencil. Later I learned access and vba. I programmed a networked logistics/dispatch system we used for 5+ years. We later had another office in another city, and I did a php/mysql database for that. The point is doing this with paper and pencil for around 2 years gave the the insight as to what a good software solution should do. Even doctors have to intern, a law should be passed to make programmers have to intern in life first.
    Last edited by jim9; Sep 4, 2007 at 17:12. Reason: spell

SitePoint Enthusiast wyte raven's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a discussion board and we have discussions here, some of them will get heated. This isn't a ***** length contest, at least most of us care about the issue,
    Sorry I didn't realise!
    Wyte R@ven - Creator of the Rift

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One tip i can give from my experience, is don't just read a book/website/tutorial etc - try and give yourself a little project to test/use the skills as you learn them, making sure you understand what you learn. Whenever i learn something new, i always try to think of a different senario to the tutorial/book etc, and impliment it from scratch.

Don't be lazy, push your ability all the time, don't just settle for "i'd like to do x but i don't know how so i'll do y instead" - push your abililty until you reach "it can't be done!" - then you know you're pushing the envelop.

And finaly, if/when you get chunks of code from the web/forums/books etc, don't just stick 'um in, break them down line by line, anything you don't understand - google.

my 2 bob
    monkey - the rest is history