SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help website directory structure and organization

When keeping track of all the files, images, etc for a customers website. How do you all organize it.

I am trying to organize two things. Current website and any file that needs to be uploaded to the site and also all the original artwork, photoshop files, and any images that are not sent to the site.

If anyone has an example of how they do it, I would appreciate seeing it.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I usually do is on my computer setup a folder in My Documents or wherever with the site name.

I setup a folder inside that one for images named, Images, who'd a thought? I then setup another folder inside the main folder titled Misc, or whatever happens to be going in there for the other stuff used on the site.

I then upload it as is, and everything works out just fine. I hate not being organized.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    like spdrcr, I also set up a main dir on my computer with the site name, a images dir, and any other sub dir needed. Keep all the main files in the root dir and all my source files (design and test files) in a 'test' or 'source' dir.

In sub folders, I might also put another images folder within if the sub pages were content intense, like for game reviews or previews.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually work on my sites from 3 different machines. To preserve my sanity I find it easiest to have a general folder that contains everyting related to the site. Below the main site folder I have a "site" folder which contains a directory structure identical to the server. All other stuff relating to the site is organized in sub folders in the main site folder.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you keep track of images the customer sent and actual images you may have edited and used?

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All images I receive from the client are placed in an images folder in the root folder. If I use one of these images on the site, than I will also place a copy in the images folder under the actual site folder. Since I tend to work from several locations, I also upload my latest Photoshop files to a subfolder located in the site/images/ folder so that I will always have access to the latest versions of my source files.