SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OnClick in TR conflicting with A Onclick

Hi all,

Simple little problem - I have the following sample code and when I click the a href link it pops up both windows.

Code HTML4Strict:
    <tr onclick="window.open('thislink.html','thiswindow',config='height=600,width=800,toolbar=no,menubar=no,scrollbars=yes,resizable=no,location=no,directories=no,status=no');return false;" style="cursor:pointer">
        <td>Some data</td>
        <td>More date</td>
        <td><a href="thatlink.html" onclick="window.open(this.href,'thatwindow',config='height=600,width=800,toolbar=no,menubar=no,scrollbars=yes,resizable=no,location=no,directories=no,status=no');return false;">Details</a></td>
    </tr>
    In other words - linking the link that should open up 'thatlink.html' opens up that window first followed by the 'thislink.html' window in the table row onclick call.

Thoughts and ideas appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do you have an onclick on the row? I've never done that before. Usually the onclick is on a hyperlink or button. How does this page work?

I'm not sure how you would get around this because the anchor is contained within the row. Could you provide a third column with a small icon or something for the row click to fire off of?

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your td click event is bubbling up to the tr element. Different browsers let you stop bubbling in different ways.
    Try looking up cancelBubble and stopPropagation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that