SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help In Photoshop!

Hello...I was making a sketch on paper for a design and made some curved lines..i'm new to photoshop...so I don't really know if its possible to make cuved lines in photoshop..can someone please tell me if its possible and how..thank you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure it is. You've got a few different options. You can use the Pen tool (press P) to draw a line with the appropriate amount of curve, then stroke it (EDIT > STROKE). Or you can use the circular marquee tool (Press M, then SHIFT + M to switch to circular marquee) to create a rounded selection then stroke it.

Those are the two easiest ways.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey..umm..it didn't work..this is what i'm trying to make
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $unny right?

You could also use the Pen Tool to make a selection, fill it and then contract it with the desired weight of your line in pixels, finally hit Delete.

EDIT: Almost forgot you can also stroke the path, but I find that it doesn't have very pleasing results.
    Jeroen Mulder

w: www.jeroenmulder.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by JMulder
    b]EDIT:[/b] Almost forgot you can also stroke the path, but I find that it doesn't have very pleasing results. [/B]
    That's probably because you don't understand what's going on when you choose stroke. It uses the last selected paintint type tool and brush combination. If you had used the Pencil tool last then your stroke would be aliased and jaggy. If you had used the airbrush with a soft-edged brush last then your stroke would be very feathered.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    creole, I know how the Stroke Path feature works

But the results of the stroke depend on the angle of the path, below you'll see a stroked path used with a Paintbrush @ 1PX and No Wet Edges. The Filled > Deleted line was selected with 0 feather and anti-aliased, then filled, contracted by 1px and deleted. I like the thin line better than the stroke line.

Jeroen Mulder

w: www.jeroenmulder.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I prefer to do any kinda line/vector work outside Photoshop, personally I use Freehand (Illustrator is the tool of the devil, even if it is from the same stable as Photoshop!!). Although Photoshop now has some vector capability, I still think it is rather weak. Do you line work in a good vector application, and export it out as an EPS... then 'place' it in your document. If you need to make the line a little thicker you can always use layer effects to 'stroke' (oohhh I like that word!!)

I would agree with JMulder, if I absolutely HAD to do it in Photoshop, I would create work paths and use these.
    Jonnya Freelance Creative
    UK Freelance designer and web developer
    Website | Portfolio | Photoshop Tips

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use both ways depending on my mood, either way will end up looking fine. It's weird though as I don't have the problem you displayed in your screenshot. Strange

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Paint Plus Photoshop=Curved Lines

If you use the shape tools in photoshop to draw what you need and then copy them over into photoshop, that will make your image making much easier.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whenever I want to make a curved line in Photoshop, I make a new channel, draw and fill a square, use Guassian Blur (bigger blur -> more rounded). Then I go to: Image -> Adjust -> Levels and drag the left and right arrows toward the middle. Then select the new image, and fill into a new layer. If you wanted a non-straight line though, I suppose this wouldn't work. But it would work for something like the Search bar at the top of this page.

Hope that helps!
    Corbb O'Connor
    Looking for quality website design or database programming?
    Contact me for more information and a FREE quote!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, no matter what stoking options you use, your lines usually turn out like the example shown. The method I use myself is JMulder's path+delete technique. Alternatively, like also suggested, you could draw them with Illustrator's pen tool, then just import into Photoshop.