SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please review my mapszipcode.com site.

I was in the mmod the other day to create a small zip code mapping site. Everyone is welcome to review it. Thank you.
    Zip code Maps and tools - www.mapszipcode.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love your site. It's clean, simple and useful. If I were to critique...

1. Header is a bit too noisy for me.
    2. The breadcrumbs would look better with '>' instead of '...'.
    3. Put some padding below the breadcrumbs, or something to distinguish it from the GoogleAds.
    4. http://mapszipcode.com and http://www.mapszipcode.com point to the same site. This will cause your PR to be split, and might also cost you a duplicate content penalty. You can fix this with a 301 redirect.

Other than that great work.

BTW, I'm using FF 2.0 on Win XP.
    Winners Respond. Losers React.
    Singapore Web Designer

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Well call me blind, but I didn't see any breadcrumbs. I like your site and made use of the bookmark tab in your header.

The only change I would make is to make "home" clickable and also make your site name clickable in your header.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of things:

1) I would recommend making the Search Zip Code tab at the top a different color and not clickable on the home page since it takes you to the same place.
    2) The search zip code tab at the top reloads whatever page you are on instead of taking you back to the actual search page.
    3) The county information is not always accurate. I typed in a zip code (80908) which is in El Paso County but your system says Crenshaw County.
    This may just be a data entry problem since all the zip codes for Colorado Springs are listed as Crenshaw instead of El Paso.
    4) Looking further, I think your county information is going to need some serious cleaning. The Denver counties are all wrong as well.

Other than that, the site looks clean and easy to use. I think the problem with the top tab not working is that your home page really contains all the pages on your site with some things hidden by divs.

SitePoint Enthusiast arthurakay's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the layout... plain, simple, and easy to find the important content.

While I love the integration of Google Maps, I have to wonder... why would anyone visit your site just to get a map of their Zip Code? I could just as easily go to Google and do the same thing.

What I'm saying... you need something new that Google doesn't offer. I don't see any reason to go to your site when I already can do this from a more well-known site.

One more thing... when I search for "Chicago IL", I get a list of the correct ZIP codes. But you have the wrong county... it's COOK county, not COFFEE (is that even real?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Great Idea!!
    I think the functionality and what the site does is awesome, in to my delicious it goes.

But I think design wise it can be improved. It looks like you were going for the WEB2 look, but didn't quite get it.
    Simplify the header a little bit, I don't think there is a need for the background text.
    There are too many headings that say the same thing. Its kind of redundant.
    top: Zip Code Maps
    banner: MapsZipcode
    heading1: Zip Code Locator and Mapping

I think you could remove the top text heading and H1, Home - Zip Code Locator and Mapping. There is really only one page with AJAX triggers. So calling it home, well we really don't have anywhere else to go , like a contact page. Basically simplifying it will definitely help.

I would look into some cool WEB2 designs, it will definitely make your site stand out a lot more. I think you have a great service here with a lot of potential to go BIG.

Best of luck

Sarfaraz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good idea... gl... design is not special...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow....Thanks so much guys. I can't believe how huch response this one little site has generated compared to my big site. I was not aware that the county info is wrong. I'm going to have to fix that. The reason why some headers are nearly duplicated is because of SEO (no other reason). Unfortunately google forces us to do stupid things sometimes.

To answer your question, arthurakay, the reason why you'd use my site and not google is perhaps because if everyone keeps using one service then 10 years down the road that service will have a monopoly and will charge money to run your searches. Wouldn't you charge if you were the only game in town? You bring a good point though. The site is by no means complete. I will be offering dowloadable data sets for those who want them. Also, there are other searches and tools in the works. I'm also planning to offer a widget pending my busy schedule.

Once again thanks to all of you. If you guys have some cool ideas then by all means let me know.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    athanasiusrc

Thanks for pointing out the county problem. I just finished cleaning up the DB. Can you, or amyone else, see if the counties are correct now? It's almost impossible to check an area you are not familiar with. I checked 10 randomly and it looks like they are all fine. Thank you.

SitePoint Enthusiast arthurakay's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chicago looks fixed...

I tested a few from PA (where I'm originally from) and they also seem to be okay.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CO counties seem correct now.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great. Thank you all for letting me know. Without your help I would have perhaps never found out that there was such a big problem with the data!

I'm doing a bit of rework on the site. I want to invite you all to come check it out in a couple of days.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome stuff...was this done using mashups or just APIs?
    Thanks,
    Evan, Affiliate Manager
    Join the ContractorsNow Affiliate Program!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is all custom-built. The db is from census data. They only have partial set, so I had to build my own db from scratch. hence why there were some issues with the counties. I use google map api to plot the gps. Really, I can use yahoo with this too, if I wanted. I built the service to be map-provider independant.

Anyone has any ideas to make this service even more useful? I'm in the process of creating some distance-based tools which will be available hopefully by next week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Design is not very interesting and i cant test it because we dont have zip codes here
    Spoiltchild Design Consultancy - Design | Web | Motion
    Rudeball - Spot the Ball game engine for your site.
    Wedding Tickers Counting down to your wedding..

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The new version is ready for your review. This one should be a bit more interesting I hope.

SitePoint Enthusiast SUNNY ARSLAN's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site is very clean and nice template. The only thing I will say is to make mapszipcode clickable in the header
    www.Anonymous.PK Free Anonymous Surfing & Anonymous Email