SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a relatively new hosting site that I would like some help on. I know I badly need a redesign (coming along as we speak), a FAQ (also being written). Unfortunately, if you are looking for some sort of 24-hour support line, an e-mail address is all I can currently do (but I make sure it gets responded to pretty darn fast!).

Other than that, what kind of stuff do you as the user want? Do I offer a good enough deal for the prices? What other services do you look for when you want to find a host, or what do you wish they had? What can I add that will really make me stand out above all other hosting businesses out there?

Thanks for all your help in advance guys.

------------------
    http://www.colehosting.com
    Hosting, Custom CGI Scripts, and Design

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might check out the following thread to see what other hosts are up to: http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/Foru...ML/000370.html

Other things people are looking for are subdomain support, support for email servers like Everyone.net, Control Panel interface, Unlimited email aliases.

I hope this helps.

To our Community Members :
    I preapproved this post and would like to ask all of you to remain mature enough to discuss it in a calm manner.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Forums Administrator
    Digital Magician Magazine - MetaQuark Creations (Coming Soon)
    wayne@sitepoint.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How does one order your services? I looked at your pricing page, but no link to order a package...you definitely have to make that clearer.

Also, I found this on your pricing page:
    "We value your business. If you find a better price elsewhere, please do not leave."

To me, that comes off as a wee bit desperate. Perhaps you can change that to something like:
    "We value your business. If you find a better price elsewhere, we will be match or beat their prices."

Other than that and your need for a redesign, I have no other comments.

I hope this helped. Good luck!

------------------
    Free Tutorials
    http://www.tutorialindex.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am also in the process of starting a web host. I just confirmed that verything is now in place except pricing and plans and the site. SO now, I like cole, would like to know what you want. Here are some questions I think we would both like answered.

1. What features do you want most?
    2. What affects your decision most when choosing a host?

------------------
    Timothy
    ICQ: 32876466 | MSN: TimothyD2000 http://www.mybizhosting.com

[This message has been edited by Timothy (edited August 15, 2000).]

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two hosting accounts at YOUR-SITE.COM because I think they are one of the best hosts out there, period. Among other things, they have the best can't-beat-it price for their features.

I recommend you go to their site, check out the package listed right on the main page for $5/mo, and beat it. They have all the features I could ever possibly want (TELNET, PHP, ASP, etc) and *excellent* tech support by email, phone, and emergency beeper which replies within one business day every time for me.

Check it out. If you can beat it, maybe I'll host my next site with you.

------------------
    Dan Grossman (webmaster@webdevportal.com)
    http://www.webdevportal.com -
    The customizable portal for webmasters!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I want in a host

On the top of my short list would be getting paid for referrals. I don't mean one time either, every month.Then comes great support, Perl 5.004 or above, use of crontab's,unlimited pop3's with control panel admin, plenty of space ( drives are cheap today),at least 3Gb traffic with reasonable rates for overages, NO SETUP FEES, and a pet peave satisfied. That is I don't know how Tucows can register my domains for $15 a year all day, and most web hosts think I will sucker in for $30 to $35 with LESS service.

A few freebies wouldn't hurt, but I don't need them.

[Edited by wluke on 08-25-2000 at 05:15 PM]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure if that's a referall link Warren, but if it is you'll have to dump it...I think it's against the rules.

Oh no, another one of THESE threads!

Overall customer support is what matters most, assuming the downtime isn't severe. I don't mind my site going down now and then as long as it isn't for too long and I can get answer from the company quickly and easily.

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    customer support definitely, but I stay with my host even if they are not the cheapest because when I do ask them questions they always answer promptly and with a smile.

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    something cheap and something that has php and mysql
    Professional PHP programing / Hosting
    aim: downtoi3iz icq: 74637813