SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for a dynamic DHTML menu system recommendation

Hi,

I need to find a dynamic menu script to modify for my own purposes that _must_ allow for these following characteristics:

1. The 'top level' (or 'level 1' if you prefer) menu options are graphics (jpg or gif), NOT text, that change when the mouse pointer rolls over them.
    2. The 'level 2' options are a list of text links that pop up when the the corresponding 'level 1' link is rolled over.
    3. The 'level 2' pop-up menu options must appear _relative_ to the position of the 'level 1' menu options. (the 'level 1' options are part of a large graphic that is centered relative to the browser size).

The reason my requirement is so precise is that I've inherited a web page from someone else that needs a pop-up menu system to be added to it, but I'm not allowed to change the existing page structure.

Thanks. Looking myself now, will report back if/when I find something myself.
    Web Design Perth Melbourne .:. Itomic Business Website Solutions
    Drupal Experts .:. Drupalise

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CoolMenus. It has a ****** name, but it's be best out there. Oh, and it's free!
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that.

I'm hanging out for when Coolmenus gets out of the beta phase before giving it a go.

Until then, I'm might get away with an older version of 'Hiermenus' that I had knocking around

http://www.webreference.com/dhtml/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by spaceman
    Thanks for that.

I'm hanging out for when Coolmenus gets out of the beta phase before giving it a go.

Until then, I'm might get away with an older version of 'Hiermenus' that I had knocking around

http://www.webreference.com/dhtml/
    I have found Coolmenus3beta to be pretty much bug free. It's really just a more robust and compatible version of version2. If you are uneasy with beta scripts, just use coolmenus2 instead.
    Mattias Johansson

FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by M. Johansson

I have found Coolmenus3beta to be pretty much bug free. It's really just a more robust and compatible version of version2. If you are uneasy with beta scripts, just use coolmenus2 instead.
    I think you mean to refer to Coolmenus4 & 3 (not 3 & 2)?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you mean to refer to Coolmenus4 & 3 (not 3 & 2)?
    Damn - that's right! I'm so retarded before my morning coffee kicks in.
    Mattias Johansson

FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm looking at the config options in Coolmenus4 beta right now... it's not at all clear to me that it's possible to, for example, place the pop-up menu system to appear wherever you want on a page. Sure - left, right top, bottom, centred, etc., but lets say I want to place them in a table inside a table, where the outer table is set to appear in the center of the screen whatever the browser width is set to. Am I making sense (probably not!).

Take a look at this (cut down example/demo using old webreference/dhtml script):

http://www.itomic.com/mundaring/

Do you reckon that Coolmenus can do the same as the above? If you view source, you'll notice that the pop-up menus are <a href>s around images - so in fact these images (or text) could be randomly scattered anywhere on the page. From what I've seen of Coolmenus, you are obliged to bunch all your top level menu options together in a block.

Hope you don't mind me comparing/contrasting. :-)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm looking at the config options in Coolmenus4 beta right now... it's not at all clear to me that it's possible to, for example, place the pop-up menu system to appear wherever you want on a page. Sure - left, right top, bottom, centred, etc., but lets say I want to place them in a table inside a table, where the outer table is set to appear in the center of the screen whatever the browser width is set to. Am I making sense (probably not!).

Take a look at this (cut down example/demo using old webreference/dhtml script):

http://www.itomic.com/mundaring/

Do you reckon that Coolmenus can do the same as the above? If you view source, you'll notice that the pop-up menus are <a href>s around images - so in fact these images (or text) could be randomly scattered anywhere on the page.
    Coolmenus can do what you are describing here, but you cannot put the menus inside a table. You can however, center the menu if you want. Basically, you can align coolmenus however you please.

From what I've seen of Coolmenus, you are obliged to bunch all your top level menu options together in a block.
    http://www.dhtmlcentral.com/projects..._example2.html

Hope you don't mind me comparing/contrasting. :-)
    [b]
    Not at all - Coolmenus can withstand it. Me = Zealot.
    Mattias Johansson

FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    try looking at xfx.software.net, they basically well can do most things, and can link to images all over the page not just in blocks, BUT its not free

Sarah
    Regular user

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I read correctly, the NEW Ver.4 does NOT yet support frames and Ver. 3 is no longer available for download

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by JointComms
    If I read correctly, the NEW Ver.4 does NOT yet support frames and Ver. 3 is no longer available for download
    That's okay, since frames suck
    Mattias Johansson

FatStatement.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have to agree with you but sometimes there's no choice.

I need to build/modify pages which have a common header and footer without having to reload them each time. If you have suggestions would be grateful.

Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dmb does support frames (see link above) but also could you not use php and include header and footer files, not sure if that would reduce reload times though as I suppose you would still have to load them in every time...

hmm basically frames are still complaint so if you use them and use them well then that is fine. Believe me I still think they have their uses but server side is taking me over
    Regular user

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

have a look at this menu

http://www.milonic.co.uk/ It might be what you are looking for, I use it inhouse at a big comp in Brisbane Asutralia.

When it comes to headers and footers do you only build in HTML. If not use include files instead. No frames needed and it's easy to use.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: have a look at this menu

Originally posted by drnibbles
    http://www.milonic.co.uk/ It might be what you are looking for, I use it inhouse at a big comp in Brisbane Asutralia.

When it comes to headers and footers do you only build in HTML. If not use include files instead. No frames needed and it's easy to use.
    I think that link should be

http://www.milonic.com/menu/

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestions, I have been looking for menus that work in Opera.

milonic is interesting that in opera the menu scrolls with the page, (not sure it is supposed to though)

cool menus works real well with opera. (outdoes heirmenus that dont work with opera at all and now they charge for that?)

was unable to connect with the link to xfx.

I am having a design conundrum between using dhtml based menus (because they are compact and neat) and just using onmouseover based menus, because I want the user to be able to have the ability to increase font size on menus if needed. (i hate those small text menus). I was using the fact that most dhtml based menus dont work with opera as an excuse to ignore them. cant do that anymore.

by the way, when I first went to cool menus, i forgot I had javascript turned off, and there was no navigation at all.

I am going to have to start compiling a list of all the commercial sites that provide no alternative navigation if javascript is unavailable. it is absolutely amazing to me that so few sites put text based links somewhere on their site.

that kind of ignorance just puts me off.

stevo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When trying to choose which dynamic menu building system to use, it's important to decide in advance whether you want (or need) your menu system to:

a) be positioned/aligned relative to the top and left of the page

OR

b) appear wherever the appropriate javascript link is insert in a <a href></a> tag.

If that doesn't make sense:

The first type of menu system (a) simply 'appears' on your page according positioning instructions you have given it in the javascript config file that comes attached. It's therefore really important that where it's appearing is appropriate to the layout of web page it's appearing on. This is a 'simpler' system than the other.

The second menu system (b) will appear absolutely anywhere you want it to appear because it's coded inside the HTML structure of your page (wherever you choose to place the <a href>).

For example, http://www.milonic.com/menu/ is an example of the system (a), but Hiermenus http://www.webreference.com/dhtml/ is an example of the other.