SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Stormrider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sometimes wonder if people have any criticism of php that isn't "oh but i don't like the function names" - its a really lame argument. As for oop, its getting better all the time with php. I'd certainly much rather use php than asp.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no one uses asp anymore

its c#/asp.net

and as a phpdeveloper i will admit they have got alot of things right that php hasnt yet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've read this argument about Smarty many times and I have to disagree with it completely!
    1. Invalid Smarty syntax will break your pages just as quickly as bad PHP code.
    2. If you aren't using a revision control system already you need to be. Don't allow anyone (including yourself) to overwrite important application files permanently.
    3. Any application that uses Smarty requires a developer who knows the syntax. You are more likely to find a designer familiar with PHP than with Smarty.
    4. As for designers who know nothing about Smarty or PHP, why would you want them to learn Smarty first? PHP is just as easy to learn, and raises their skill level so they could be utilized over a number of different projects and tasks.
    5. Smarty adds way to much overhead to your web application! Everything that is accomplished with Smarty can be accomplished with the same amount (or less) PHP code. To quote the php.net website, "PHP is a general-purpose scripting language that is especially suited for Web development and can be embedded into HTML". Why add this unnecessary level of abstraction when you can accomplish all your requirements using the core PHP language?
    I prefer the Zend Framework approach to views. It keeps my templates clean, lean and mean.

[page.phtml]
    Code:
    <?php
    $this->headTitle('Page Title');
    $this->headScript()->appendScriptFile('/js/tinymce/tiny_mce.js');
    $js = <<<EOT
        tinyMCE.init({

});
    EOT;
    $this->headScript()->appendScript($js);
    $this->useLayout('abc.php');
    <body>
        Hello <?=strtoupper($this->first_name)?>!
        <?=$this->form?>
        <?php if ($this->isAuth()) : ?>
            Show special auth menu
        <?php elseif; ?>
            Show regular menu
        <?php endif; ?>
    </body>
    ?>
    Quote Originally Posted by sebulbus View Post
    Suppose 10 weeks later you hire a designer to re-skin your site. Say you hire an absolute design genius, but no PHP skills whatsoever.
    Would you trust him to go about fiddling with your pages possibly touching the php code and making everything not work?

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Stormrider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mihd View Post
    no one uses asp anymore

its c#/asp.net

and as a phpdeveloper i will admit they have got alot of things right that php hasnt yet
    Maybe, but then I hate the whole idea of frameworks anyway.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mihd View Post
    no one uses asp anymore

its c#/asp.net

Perhaps. I've worked on web apps in C#/ASP.NET and PHP, and I just enjoy writing the PHP code more.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's how I feel too. Enjoy working with PHP. But in terms of features and power they don't compare. .NET rocks bigtime.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    Perhaps. I've worked on web apps in C#/ASP.NET and PHP, and I just enjoy writing the PHP code more.