SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Normal Blogging vs Video Blogging

Hi,

I would like to hear everyones opinion on Normal Blogging vs Video Blogging.

Which one tends to get more traffic?

Is there any upside or downside to any of these when compared with each other?

Oh, and by the way. By normal blogging I simply mean blogging that is predominantly text based.

I ask because it seems to me that video blogging might be easier to do.

Thanks.

John

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blogging in general will get more traffic as it's content is indexable which means it can be found by all of the search engines. Video blogging is a nice alternative but unless you transcribe each video, all of your traffic would be from word of mouth and networking so it would be much harder to get the blog off the ground unless you had some really great viral marketing campaign.
    Sara

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me video blogging is a waste of time. i don't watch videos, I don't listen to podcasts. I READ. I access sites at work, at home etc. The best thing in all these is they can offer me reading possibilities, even if I don't have video options on some of the PC I use.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that it would be a great feature to allow video, but at the same time, text is the most valuable when it comes to online marketing. You will be found easier if you had text in regards to all of you post and subjects. If all you had were videos, then you would end up missing out on a lot of traffic that would be generated by organic search engine searches.

~Cally~
    Last edited by ses5909; Aug 27, 2007 at 11:43. Reason: please use your sig for your links..thanks!

Bananas contain Zinc fonzerelli_79's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to disagree with the above views. Video blogging is becoming more and more popular. Sites like revver are also making it profitable to release videos via the web. Expect to see more blogs releasing videos in the future (although I admit text remains king)

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't argue there isn't traffic for video considering the traffic YouTube gets. It's the same as any kind of content site... if the material is good, people will spread the word (and the links).

SitePoint Enthusiast Daniel Primed's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like that I can scan through a piece of written text and see if I will be worth reading or not. This can't be said for video blogs unfortunately.

Its difficult to say, but overall I think that it would not generate as much traffic as a regular article. Because most bloggers are use to text based articles and are likely to be more appealed to that type of article. Although sites like YouTube are popular, the market for YouTube is different to the market you are trying to appeal to in your blog. Be sure to keep that in mind.

I guess time will tell really.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Normal blogging is a topic based on personal and informative content while Video blogging is a topic using videos like Youtube.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Err.... the medium doesn't dictate the topic. The platform (which is what YouTube is) doesn't dictate the topic. You can write or record the same exact message for the same exact audience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Video blogging is good but I prefer normal blogging for my blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go for normal blogging rather than video, if you will add more text that will be good for both readers and SE.
    Convert your Ideas to Application
    UK Web Development | SEO Guru

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who makes more - the average blogger or the average TV show host?

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy KLB's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    Who makes more - the average blogger or the average TV show host?
    I wonder how much Mike Row makes as host of Discovery Channel's "Dirty Jobs"

In regards to the original question, I prefer written blogs over video blogs and very rarely watch a video blog. Also, like others have said unless the video has been transcribed, it isn't very indexable by search engines.
    Ken Barbalace: EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Blog, Careers)
    InternetSAR.org
    Volunteers Assist Search and Rescue via Internet
    My Firefox Theme: Classic Compact
    Based onFirefox's default theme but uses much less window space

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mike Row makes a ton of money he does the deadliest catch and alot of voice work for comercials and tv series.

I prefer text blogs for marketing. If you have great videos you will get alot of traffic but not sure if they convert as well. I think it the same as social bookmark sites alot of traffic but hard to make sales.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you ready to speak clearly, be expressive, edit two hours of footage into about five minutes, and create a compelling video experience? Or would you rather spend the same time writing, re-writing, and editing an engaging and comment worthy text article?

If you were going to do a crappy, unmemorable job on either, then I'd say take the SEO advice and see if you get lucky on some keywords.

But, if one of those mediums sounds more like it fits you, your talents, and the way you express yourself, then there's nothing anyone here can say that should prevent you from giving it a shot. Neither one kills puppies, neither is going to get you millions overnight.
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i guess normal blogging still do its magic as long as the content is fresh and it also offers information our reader needs regardless if it has videos. Videos for me is for functionality purposes

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think it matters too much, just as long as either one is relevant or, at the very least, entertaining. A crappy blog is crappy nomatter what form it takes. The only problem I could see with video blogging is difficulty indexing it for search engines, but I don't think that would be too terribly difficult to overcome.

~Cally~
    Education Degree

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thow in my lot with standard blogging. Video blogging is interesting but is a completely different kettle of fish.

Visit docquesting.com docquesting's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on who you ask. As we are web developers we are generally going to understand why text is so important.

However talking to someone I know who is an average user I understand now to get "everyone" to keep coming back you need both text, images, and videos. As mentioned above it is a good idea to do a write up about the image or video. This way you keep any type of visitors entertained.

As I am more of a writer myself it does bug me to be required to do something extra. Depending on the subject sometimes you may just want to write and other times an image or video relating to the topic can enhance your post.