Thread: PROXXonline

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PROXXonline

Hey everyone,

My name is Chris and I am the Co-Owner of PROXX. (www.PROXX.net)

I am posting here to show you all what we have recently cooked up in our secret lab.

We are expanding from just web design and coding to web hosting.

Any thoughts, comments, or questions about it, be sure to throw it out there.

The live site can be viewed here: http://www.proxxonline.com

Let us know what you think.

Thanks in advance!

NOTE: The forums are being redone. Should be completed in the next day or so. So dont hold that against us too much! : O)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very nice design but one problem, can u includ your support in that design...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The design of both sites looks good for the most part however...

... your English is bizarre in places and clumsy in many more. Please, please, please get in a good editor/copywriter in on contract for a day or two.

Some examples from both sites to show you the necessity. This is not, by any means, an exhaustive list.

First site

"Advertisement is one thing a company relies on to get recognition"

"Advertising" would make the sentence grammatically correct but it still sounds clumsy. List what you can do and then inform potential clients how your services will benefit them. What is it about the way you do business cards, flyers etc that will benefit your clients.

"... is capable of coming up with as well as carrying out..."

Perhaps I'm missing something but what is the difference between these two tasks? Regardless "coming up with" and "carrying out" are not exactly promotional language.

"This plan includes..." in a paragraph that makes mention only of planning, not a plan.

"...software designed to tailor the needs of our clients..." (BTW I'm mainly avoiding company and product names to minimse the chance of potential clients finding this thread on a search after you alter the text.)

Is the software "designed according to the needs of your clients" or "tailored to the needs of your clients"?

"With this program users are capable of ..."

What is wrong with the word "can"?

"...another feature that is possible through..."

Again, what is wrong with the word "of". Quite apart from the simpler terms being easier to read, using a plethora of polysyllabic agglomerates where a solitary utterance would usually suffice is going to ruin your keyword density.

"A couple people selected to..."

What is the term for an unreasonable fear of the word "of"?

"Having a question?"

"Have a question?" if you must contract it that much.

"Use our easy to use contact form, provide"

"Using our..." would be better although "using" and "use" that close together is still a little clumsy and a better sentence could be constructed with a little thought.

"Provide enough detail so we can better help you."

Clumsy, but more than that you need to be specific. You may be dealing with people who have never done this before and do not know what information you need.

Second Site

The hosting site is better but could still do with a once over by a professional. (BTW the "Contact" and "support" links were a bit of a shock)

"...just cant help.."

At the very least this should be "just can't help", and generally contractions are used less in "print" than in speech i.e "cannot". Same paragraph "its" => "it's" or "it is"

"...enjoy making people happy, success..."

"successful".

Both sites also tend to suffer from excessive first letter capitalisation.

Sorry if that sounds a bit harsh but I really think you need to bring in somebody external on contract to fix this rather than attempting it yourself. Hope you found the review useful anyway.

padawan silver trophybronze trophy markbrown4's Avatar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hey Chris,

I really like the designs of both pages

You're featured sections - Products / Portfolio and Services & Shared Hosting / Reseller and Combo - Need to be linked.
    More and more designers are using these Big images/ descriptions as linked sections of the page - it's becoming quite a norm for the web 2.0 style sites.

The news box looks a little odd because it's the only element on your site with square corners - but the design is great.

SitePoint Enthusiast arthurakay's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the design and color scheme... very user friendly!

However, in looking at your source code, I notice hidden text:
    <span class="hidden">...</span>
    Google doesn't look kindly on hidden text, so I would recommend removing it, particularly since you don't need it. Use IMG ALT tags instead.

Speaking of ALT tags, you have "icon shared hosting" and similar tags on some of your images. Make better use of this text.

Your code validates on the W3C validator (minus 3 quirks which are more W3C's fault than yours) so good job.

Just one other random item... on your homepage, all links to "Home" have an extra hash mark ( # ) at the end. I would try to get rid of this, but I then again I'm a bit of a perfectionist.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice design.. very easy to navigate which is important on a site like this.

Just hope the host support is as good as the design
    Aaron Luckie - Paid search and SEO blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Real nice WEB 2 design. Seen many like it, but they still look cool. I like the darker theme, which really makes the graphics and buttons stand out well.
    Everything is cool, except for some grammatical errors that maybe, like mentioned, a publisher can fix or write something up for you real quick. No matter how good your service is, when users read about, you have to sound professional.

regards
    Sarfaraz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Jay-S; nice design but uniformity with your support pages would help a lot.

My only other thought is that it feels a bit too vertically spaced out at times. Perhaps some of the elements don't need such a large gap in between them?

SitePoint Evangelist Pixelateur's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't read the other people's comments here, but in my view this really is a nice looking site. I don't think there's much that could be improved further, but if, you might want to consider adding more constrast to the $9.95 image. The price may stand out more if you use a stronger, more saturated blue.